Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

The XJ design

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default The XJ design

Hi guys,

Just a bit of a comment and observation. I have a decent looking 89 base model; not close to getting to be an off roader. It's that kind of stock type of ride that i try to keep everything to original and factory correct.
One thing I noticed is this little thing about the fuse box under the dash..... the wire harness goes through the firewall via a square hole. After strong rain in recent days, the driver's floor became soaking wet and I traced the source. Water seemed to find its way through the edges of the square hole. So I tried to rectify the issue by stuffing it with a generous amount of silicon sealant and I think it will hold.
My question:
1. Was there an original rubber seal in this square hole to keep water from getting into the cabin ?
2. If the ride were to do off-road and needs to crawl through deep water, the fuse wire harness will surely permit water to get in even though it had an original rubber seal (ie if ever there was)..... I mean what with all the holes for the wire connectors to pass through. Most other cars' wire harness go through the firewall via via a small hole sealed by a rubber plug, a better way to keep water out.

Kind enough to share your comments about this ? I hope im not missing something.

Cheers
Old 08-28-2017, 08:12 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

A post like this comes up every couple of years.

The ones I removed were held in by some sticky black stuff.

My question is why there is so much water there.

Where is it coming from and why.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Well cruiser, we're in the same boat. I plastered the hell out ofthensquare hole with gummy stuff. I hope it works this time. There are three more holes that i decided to plater too: 1. Hole for the hose that goes all the way to the rear wiper washer; 2. Speedometer cable; and 3. The hood cable. Mine still had the rubber caps but theyve hardened up and will not repel water.
I still think that no matter how much gum you stuff that are with, water will still find its way through the wire connectors that go through the fuse box. This designers of thisn ride, built to go off road and submerged in deep water, may uave forgotten to insulte the damn holes.
.... just my 10 cents ....

Anybody tweaked this somehow ???? Share it... we'd like to know.
Thanks in advance.

Hello