Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

XJ Darting/Wandering

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 01:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default XJ Darting/Wandering

Took my Jeep to the alignment shop today to get my toe in set after replacing most of the front end parts (Track Bar, All Tie Rod Ends, Drag Link, and Steering Damper). I thought it would fix my darting/wandering issue but the mechanic said it was most likely the new steering damper (Rough Country N2.0) or my ball joints. I have new Spicers I could put on there but should I switch back to stock damper? Could it also be control arms as well? Appreciate any help fellas.
Old 08-30-2018, 02:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

A steering damper won't cause those symptoms typically. If the ball joints have play and are in need of replacement, then they may be contributing and are well worth doing. Wander/Darting are often brought on when caster is out of spec. Do you have a lift? If so, can you provide some details on it? Also can you provide details on the current tires you have on?
Old 08-30-2018, 03:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO

I don't have any lift on it. I've replaced the coils and shocks but everything is stock height. I just got new tires about a week ago, Hankook Optimo (225/75/15). Is there a way to adjust caster?
Old 08-30-2018, 11:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Wcreech8
I don't have any lift on it. I've replaced the coils and shocks but everything is stock height. I just got new tires about a week ago, Hankook Optimo (225/75/15). Is there a way to adjust caster?
Though caster on the XJ can be adjusted slightly by the use of shims on the frame-side bracket of the lower control arms, if you do not have a lift, this is not likely to be the problem. Generally speaking, caster is not something that is adjusted/adjustable during routine steering alignments on an XJ. Sometimes folks add aggressive lifts which effectively rotates the axle and steering angles toward the ground and can contribute to wandering and darting. But I don't think that will be the case for you.

Did you get an alignment printout? Because the next most likely candidate would be improper alignment. Though worn out ball joints, control arm bushings, and steering gear could contribute.

Perhaps what you are experiencing is actually a large amount of play in your steering wheel? Giving the impression of wandering/darting because you are having to make many corrections.
Old 08-31-2018, 12:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987

The older XJs like yours (assuming it's a 93) have a rubber coupler inline on the steering shaft. Over time the coupler goes bad and gives you a ton of play. You can see it in the engine compartment. Have one person shake the wheel while you look at the coupler.
Old 08-31-2018, 04:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

Not saying this is it, but I was in the same position as you, on my xj, replaced everything, So two weeks ago I took a look at the sway bar bushings...daylight in both. Replacing was not an option as the PO had welded in a plow mount. So I ran a couple of 5/16" lag bolts between the bushings and the straps, just to take out the slack. What do ya think. Straight as an arrow now. I could not believe it, but there it was. I mean, totally straight. My brother tells me he has fixed other kinds of suspension bushings by filling the gaps with poly window seal of some kind as well. Just throwing it out there, if in doubt, lag bolts are cheap enough.