Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

xj for beach use

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 04:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default xj for beach use

Ok I know a lot of people here use their Jeep for rocks, trails and mud. I want to set mine up for summer beach use. I am just starting to get everything back in trustworthy condition. Still working on all the fluids and various little bits here and there. I just want some ideas for the upcoming summer. I have some ideas im tossing around in my head. I have already read some great posts on making the doors removable and things.

I also want to make the back hatch removable or switch it out some how so its more like a tailgate so I can just leave the Jeep wide open driving down the beach. Anyone ever done this or anything like it? I am only doing a little 2ish inch buget lift along with slightly wider tires. how wide can I go with stock rims? It has 295 15's on there now and I plan on getting 1 inch wheel spacers.

Any ideas, fabrication photos, or input would be appriciated

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1999 XJ
Engine: I6 4.0L

The hinges that hold the liftgate in place can be replaced with disconnectable hinges, but you might get some rattling and seal issues in back. If you pull it off you could just unlatch the back, pull the pins, and remove the tailgate. I've been running 1.5" spacers for a while with no problems. Let us know if you do that liftgate mod, I'm interested to see if it would work. If you're driving primarily on the beach get the widest tires you can that will still fit your rims.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:59 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Well My XJ was bone stock the first time I took out on the dunes and after airing down the tires there was nowhere I couldn't go on regular AT tires.

The doors should be pretty easy to take off, If you don't have power windows or locks the only wiring you would have to deal with is the speaker. I dunno about the rear hatch, I've always wanted to convert the rear window to roll down or open somehow but I never really looked into it.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:00 PM

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by alpine.adrenaline
The hinges that hold the liftgate in place can be replaced with disconnectable hinges, but you might get some rattling and seal issues in back. If you pull it off you could just unlatch the back, pull the pins, and remove the tailgate. I've been running 1.5" spacers for a while with no problems. Let us know if you do that liftgate mod, I'm interested to see if it would work. If you're driving primarily on the beach get the widest tires you can that will still fit your rims.
Do you have a link for this lif gate mod?
Old 09-21-2009, 05:07 PM
CF Veteran

I've never seen it done, but its certainly plausible, right? There's a single pin in each hinge, and I would think you could just tap it out like a house door hinge. Replace those with some slightly smaller pins and cotter pins to hold those in, I would think you could just pull them and remove the door. Then again if it doesn't work your liftgate is tumbling down the beach behind you... Heck, I'll be the first to try it. Guess I'm stopping by the hardware store on my way home from work.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1991

what beach do you run on
Old 09-21-2009, 05:36 PM

Year: 1997

This guy did it. Along with every other cool thing I could think of.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=557715
Old 09-21-2009, 05:47 PM
CF Veteran

I was about to post that same link but you beat me to it! AWESOME mod.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:54 PM

Year: 1990

i have 12.5 on 7 inch rims i think. You can go pretty wide but i would think the most probably 13.5 at most. Good luck and post some pics of that tailgate mod.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:07 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by mike37
what beach do you run on
Well when I get the engine and trans sound I will be running on Beaches in North Carolina Nags Head and further south. Depends lol.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:09 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by MdgtRac
i have 12.5 on 7 inch rims i think. You can go pretty wide but i would think the most probably 13.5 at most. Good luck and post some pics of that tailgate mod.

Once I get all the routine stuff done Ill start doing actual work on it. I will be sure to post up some pictures when I get around to any mods.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993

Sounds like we will have to same Jeep after your done. I'm running on 31 10.5 15 on a 15x8 rim. With a 2in BB.

Aired down to between 10-18 lbs I dont even use 4x4.

Do you fish or surf down there. I was just in Rodanthe for a week in august, great place.

Do your self a favor and ditch the idea of wheel spacers, just one more thing to rust and seize up on you, buy a cheep steel rim with a good amount of backspacing. Remember the lower the number the more backspacing, my dumb *** friend made a VERY BAD mistake.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:04 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Long Island XJ
Sounds like we will have to same Jeep after your done. I'm running on 31 10.5 15 on a 15x8 rim. With a 2in BB.

Aired down to between 10-18 lbs I dont even use 4x4.

Do you fish or surf down there. I was just in Rodanthe for a week in august, great place.

Do your self a favor and ditch the idea of wheel spacers, just one more thing to rust and seize up on you, buy a cheep steel rim with a good amount of backspacing. Remember the lower the number the more backspacing, my dumb *** friend made a VERY BAD mistake.

Thanks for the info on the wheel spacers. And yes your rig sounds about like what im wanting. I will be doing a few extra things like front and rear bumper and some nice solid recovery points just in case.

I don't surf or fish, use to fish but sold my rods/reels for quick cash when I was in a bind lol.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1991

get aholed of
TrekkerJmm
he is setup for beach driving
Old 09-22-2009, 05:28 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Long Island XJ
Do your self a favor and ditch the idea of wheel spacers, just one more thing to rust and seize up on you, buy a cheep steel rim with a good amount of backspacing.

Any ideas where to get cheep rims? Websites or better to just check local garages and tire repair places? I dont live close to any junk yards so that's out

Quick Reply: xj for beach use