Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

XJ 2.5D engine problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 04:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default XJ 2.5D engine problems

Hi Guys,

I have a few questions I hope someone can help me with.
My friend own a:
1994-1996 2.5 L VM Motori turbodiesel with intercooler I4, 118hp.

Engine started leaking oil, and it seemed to come from the engine heads. This engine type has 4 separate engine heads. And we replaced the head gasket, with a new metal gasket and put the thin together. Every thing seemed fine, but after a few minutes a lot of engine noise appeared and engine lost power.

We then took of the heads again, and one of the valve assembly was blown of. Rods that keeps the valve assembly on to the one of the heads was riped out. The treads was busted. We repaired the threads and tried again and the same thing happened to another head.

Any one seen this before?
And does any on have the a list of how much NM to fasten the head bolts with?

ThansX
Old 01-08-2010, 06:13 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 ltr

must admit i have never herd of that before????

you did put all the parts with the correct heads didnt you and not mixed them up???

are they manual adjustable tappets or hydro ones?

'fantic' worked for vm i will see if i can find him.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by sluggy
must admit i have never herd of that before????

you did put all the parts with the correct heads didnt you and not mixed them up???

are they manual adjustable tappets or hydro ones?

'fantic' worked for vm i will see if i can find him.

Well I only helped with a part of the job, so I don know if heads where put back in same order. Rely didnt know that they had to. Is there a way to find that out? I did post a tread on a different forum as well, and one guy mentioned that sins our gasket was a bit thiner than the original one the rods that pushes the valve might be to long, damaging valve ***? Guess those rod are the tappes? My technical English is not good enough, sorry In the case, there are 2 rod coming thru the head from the cam shaft.

Last edited by primary; 01-08-2010 at 06:50 AM.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:44 AM
CF Veteran

i wouldnt have thought there would be that much diffence in the thickness of the gaskets?? enought to cause the damage you say anyway??

i will ask some of the people in the rnr camp as there are a few of them with diesels.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:29 PM
CF Veteran

ok a friend told me this lot.

Not all VM heads are the same. The head gaskets need to be the correct thickness and type, and depending on the age are either in one piece (later type, mostly facelift on) or x 4, one for each cylinder (up to 96). There are notches in the end of each gasket which indicates the thickness. To me it sounds like wrong gasket, or wrong heads, either way if it shears the rocker bolts something does not match, even the pushrods might be wrong.
Also, and this is important, if the hydraulic lifters (tappets/followers) are not put in the correct way round it will not feed the oil correctly in order for them to operate hydraulically and that could also cause them to shear. Some early VMs, such as those fitted to Rovers 800 and early TD rangies I think, did not have hydraulic tappets, and therefore the pushrods and rockers were designed differently and did not have the necessary oil galleries.
The followers go in with the oil hole facing out not in towards the cylinders. Easy mistake to make as they will go in either way round. There are also different followers, just to add spice.

hope this helps,

john.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by sluggy
ok a friend told me this lot.

Not all VM heads are the same. The head gaskets need to be the correct thickness and type, and depending on the age are either in one piece (later type, mostly facelift on) or x 4, one for each cylinder (up to 96). There are notches in the end of each gasket which indicates the thickness. To me it sounds like wrong gasket, or wrong heads, either way if it shears the rocker bolts something does not match, even the pushrods might be wrong.
Also, and this is important, if the hydraulic lifters (tappets/followers) are not put in the correct way round it will not feed the oil correctly in order for them to operate hydraulically and that could also cause them to shear. Some early VMs, such as those fitted to Rovers 800 and early TD rangies I think, did not have hydraulic tappets, and therefore the pushrods and rockers were designed differently and did not have the necessary oil galleries.
The followers go in with the oil hole facing out not in towards the cylinders. Easy mistake to make as they will go in either way round. There are also different followers, just to add spice.

hope this helps,

john.
Thanks mate, I'll need to figure out if we have the correct gasket I guess.. Cheers
Old 01-11-2010, 06:25 AM
CF Veteran

glad to have helped