Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

XJ 1998 weird stopping issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default XJ 1998 weird stopping issues

Hi! I am so glad I found this forum! Just bought my first Jeep Cherokee 1997 with 60 000 miles and I love the thing! Here are some issues that I noticed any tips, toughts?

1- When coming to a stop and immobilizing, sometimes feels like the drivetrain is moving back and forth under the jeep, in other words, sometimes feels like the rear end stays up a few inches and when I accelerate, it goes down?? Also, When doing it while I stop in reverse, then there is a knoking sound when engaging back to D drive position...
Engine or transmission mount? I think that when it happens, while releasing the brakes, the jeep does vibrate a little...

Strange fact : I test drove a 1996 and it did the same thing!? Do they all do this?

2- When idling, I do ear a clunk sound from inside the cockpit (I do not ear it outside), not loud but anoying, seems like it comes from under the glove box or passenger side engine area... tock tock tock tock... Goes away when reving the engine...

3-Clunk sound form transfert case shifter when idling or low rpms, When I play with the lever, it goes away

Are these 3 problems related??

4-Both front speakers quit working... Waht can ti be?

Thanks for your input!

JS from Canada

Last edited by js232; 11-22-2009 at 02:54 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 v8

Originally Posted by js232
Hi! I am so glad I found this forum! Just bought my first Jeep Cherokee 1997 with 60 000 miles and I love the thing! Here are some issues that I noticed any tips, toughts?

1- When coming to a stop and immobilizing, sometimes feels like the drivetrain is moving back and forth under the jeep, in other words, sometimes feels like the rear end stays up a few inches and when I accelerate, it goes down?? Also, When doing it while I stop in reverse, then there is a knoking sound when engaging back to D drive position...
Engine or transmission mount? I think that when it happens, while releasing the brakes, the jeep does vibrate a little...

Strange fact : I test drove a 1996 and it did the same thing!? Do they all do this?

2- When idling, I do ear a clunk sound from inside the cockpit (I do not ear it outside), not loud but anoying, seems like it comes from under the glove box or passenger side engine area... tock tock tock tock... Goes away when reving the engine...

3-Clunk sound form transfert case shifter when idling or low rpms, When I play with the lever, it goes away

Are these 3 problems related??

4-Both front speakers quit working... Waht can ti be?

Thanks for your input!

JS from Canada
My 99 has pretty much the same thing

#1 Not totally sure, i know for the 99's there was a TSB about rear axle shafts for clunking, and i also see alot about greasing the TC slip yoke....havnt really checked into it too much, but seems to be the common things to look at.

#2 the "ticking" could be a valve of sorts under the hood, i forget the technical name, but when u hear it again pop the hood and look on the pass. side towards the firewall, its black with a round top....IF its that its totally normal...something to check

#3 TC linkage......they all pretty much make noise....read a tsb about that and it involved changing some washer type bushings or something....either way nothing to worry about just annoying at stops lol

#4 Door wiring.....the wiring is NOTORIOUS for going bad in the door speakers....trace it out, or run new wiring

Hope that helps a bit or at least rules out normal stuff
Old 11-22-2009, 04:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Welcome JS
Funny those are my initials too.

I can tell you about the speaker wires. My 98 had same problem. Talked to a stereo installer and he said this is very common. They just run new wires. Trying to find the break is way more expensive.

Looks like you coud use new shocks in the back OR the bushings in springs are shot.
Knocking when going into drive sounds like a ujoint.
Idling knock could be anything. Need more info.
Transfer case shifter is probably loose

Dang beat me to it! LOL
Old 11-22-2009, 05:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.o

Hi there, welcome to the forum.
1, the clunking when stopping,starting - lube the slip joint rear driveshaft/tcase
2,ticking noise at idle - evaporative emissions purge solenoid (normal)
3,transfercase shifter noise - a nylon bushing and a brass bushing retainer on the linkage (cross shaft from body to trans)
4,speakers - i'm with everyone on that door wiring

hope this helps
Old 11-22-2009, 06:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 v8

Originally Posted by captainwoot
Hi there, welcome to the forum.
1, the clunking when stopping,starting - lube the slip joint rear driveshaft/tcase
2,ticking noise at idle - evaporative emissions purge solenoid (normal)
3,transfercase shifter noise - a nylon bushing and a brass bushing retainer on the linkage (cross shaft from body to trans)
4,speakers - i'm with everyone on that door wiring

hope this helps
evaporative emissions purge solenoid**

Thats the technical term i couldnt remember thanks haha

and since were still on topic here, anyone have directions on lubing the slip joint?

Ive been meaning to get around to doing it myself...but just been too lazy to check into it more and havnt really seen a good "write up" about it yet
Old 12-02-2010, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

Just ran across this post and am having a very similar/same issue. Basically, when taking off, going over bumps around corners, stopping I hear a "clunk" from the back passenger side. Everything appears to be tight and I'll be greasing up the slip joint this weekend but I'm kinda wondering. Why would a dry slip joint cause this "clunk" sound? From my understanding it's splines which slip along one another..... not quite seeing how it would make a noise and on a flat surface for that matter (wouldn't be traveling in/out)

Thanks,
Old 12-02-2010, 06:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

Here is a link to a great thread on "lubing the slip joint" on 97-01 XJs. The "clunk" characteristic is very common on 97+ because they are not lubricated the same way as the older ones were, which were in a bath of automatic transmission fluid.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/g...ite-up-357569/
Old 12-02-2010, 09:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clunk

I did this to my 2000 jeep today and the clunk is gone, thanks for the help.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996

evaporative emissions purge solenoid knocking sound is easy, lift it up and wedge something under it. I've had a piece of cardboard under mine for a year.