Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

won't start after I turn off unless I wait 15 minutes

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default won't start after I turn off unless I wait 15 minutes

I have a 93 jeep cherokee. It starts fine. But if I turn it off within approx 10 -15 minutes it won't turn back on. All electrical components (dash lights, radio, door buzzer, fuel pump, etc) work fine, but it won't even turn over. It stays silent as you turn the key. All I have to do to fix it is wait about 10-15 minutes and magically it cranks just like nothing was wrong. If I let it run for a good 10 minutes or more and then turn off it cranks right back up. I've tried shifting to neutral and starting and it doesn't make any difference. I've also put in a battery from another cherokee I have to see if it was a battery problem - that didn't help it start either. This happens pretty consistently. I'm not sure if it is a 'time' issue or if it an 'engine temp' issue but either way I suspect something electrical is preventing it to start and then somehow (time or temp) it decides its ready to start. Any ideas?
Old 08-14-2009, 10:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0

i read something thye other day about the 93 xjs and the oil level switch,it was the only year it was used and then removed because it was just a big problem,I am not sure if it maybe the problem,but it sounds like it could be from some of the other problems I have read on here.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:57 AM

Default Me Too!

I'm hoping that what with the time since this posting someone knows the answer. I too have to wait about 15 minutes. Until then nothing when I turn the key. New battery cables/termnals, I've bypassed the NSS still nothing. All I have to do is leave it and come back 15-30 min later and starts right up. This morning I started it three times after it wouldn't start after returning from taking my son to the bus stop. I sit with it running so it runs about 15 minutes and that's all it takes to warm to a point of not starting. All else is fine, lights radio, wipers etc. Thanks, Ken
Old 02-12-2010, 12:18 AM
G_P

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 H.O

Sounds like either a bad starter or starter solenoid.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:02 AM

Year: 1990

Had the same exact problem on my 95 Grand Cherokee with the 4.0 It was the starter. Swapped it out, never a problem since.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:27 AM

Year: 1987

Next time it does it, tap the starter with a piece of wood and see if it starts. Mine did the same thing, new starter problem gone.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:59 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: straight 6

the wires going to the starter could be coroaded my chevy does this occasionaly and if i jiggle the wires starts right up im just to lazy to fix
if i drive for more then 20minutes and shut it off and go to start it again before waiting 10 minutes it does absolutly nothing when you go to start its just silent next time it does it go under the jeep real quick and shake the wires a little and it should start right up haha ive never heard of any one else having this issue ive had it for like a year but i usally dont drive that far for it to do it or it just sits long enough that it will start

Last edited by thesundancekid; 02-12-2010 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:11 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L

Sounds like a bad relay or juntion box going bad?
Old 02-12-2010, 07:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee

Sounds like you may have something breaking down with heat. You can check the starter by jumping it at the contacts. Do this when engine is cold. Then when it is hot and will not start, jump it again and see what you have. If no start hot then starter is bad. If you jump hot contact to small solenoid contact, the starter should engage. If you jump hot contact to large starter contact, the starter motor should turn but the starter will not engage the engine. Use care doing this. If the key is on, the engine could start. Keep clear of any moving parts.

If the starter works in both tests then you have to look at the engine starter relay. Also check to see that you are getting battery voltage to the solenoid contact when the key is held to start in both cold and hot conditions.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1991

Originally Posted by G_P
Sounds like either a bad starter or starter solenoid.
x2
Old 02-12-2010, 09:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1991

Originally Posted by ET JEEP
Sounds like you may have something breaking down with heat. You can check the starter by jumping it at the contacts. Do this when engine is cold. Then when it is hot and will not start, jump it again and see what you have. If no start hot then starter is bad. If you jump hot contact to small solenoid contact, the starter should engage. If you jump hot contact to large starter contact, the starter motor should turn but the starter will not engage the engine. Use care doing this. If the key is on, the engine could start. Keep clear of any moving parts.

If the starter works in both tests then you have to look at the engine starter relay. Also check to see that you are getting battery voltage to the solenoid contact when the key is held to start in both cold and hot conditions.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:55 AM

Thanks everyone. I'll post a follow up when I finish the testing.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:33 AM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

My son in law has this problem on his 94 and we tried EVERYTHING to fix it including new starter. What we finally did was run 2 wires from a momentary switch to the starter and it when it don't start with the key he uses the push button...Tj
Old 02-17-2010, 06:48 PM

Default It's fixed.

The jeep finally got to a point where it wouldn't start at all. That gave me the kick in the butt to work on it. I did take off the NSS and clean it all out and put it back on. Do take great care in removal. I did crack the back of it just a bit. I wasn't sure just how it came apart. I did the trick of backing off the big nut and prying behind the nut using the edge of the tranny pan until it got to a point where I didn't have leverage anymore. It was getting dark so I got in a bit of a hurry and got behind it and pryed and cracked it. I then got some light on the situation and used a cresent wrench as an adjustable fulcrum point and got it off.

I got it all cleaned up and the contacts were stuck. Getting it back on was just about as hard getting it seated all the way back on the shaft but none the less, it starts every time now. It will work until it doesn't anymore but for now I got a working jeep back. Thanks everyone for the input.

Klloyd
Old 02-17-2010, 10:06 PM

Year: 98

Thats funny!! I tried to take mine off today to clean it but i broke it into pieces. Autozone wanted $238.99, or $380 at the stealership so I just ordered one off ebay for $48.