Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't start

Hey guys I was fixing the front brakes on my 97 cherokee then took it for a test drive came home and parked it. The next morning I went out and it won't start it cranks but won't fire so I just check fuel pressure it goes up to 50 then when I Crank it over it stays between 40 and 50, any other thoughts?
Old 12-29-2016, 10:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Check the battery and cable connections? And do you have spark?
Old 12-29-2016, 11:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

As mentioned, gotta verify spark. Pull a plug, keep it attached to the plug wire, place the plug electrode near a good engine ground. Have a buddy crank the engine over while you observe spark quality. You are looking for a strong, snapping BLUE spark. Yellow/orange/white indicates a weak spark which may not be strong enough to start the engine. Weak spark is usually caused by a failing ignition coil.

If you have good spark and you've already verified fuel pressure which looks to be reasonable, next I would install a noid light to see if you are getting the proper injector "pulse" from the computer.

The above two tests are going to narrow down what you look at next. It's a process of elimination. Good luck and keep us updated!

Last edited by tjwalker; 12-29-2016 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-29-2016, 02:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998

Originally Posted by tjwalker
As mentioned, gotta verify spark. Pull a plug, keep it attached to the plug wire, place the plug electrode near a good engine ground. Have a buddy crank the engine over while you observe spark quality. You are looking for a strong, snapping BLUE spark. Yellow/orange/white indicates a weak spark which may not be strong enough to start the engine. Weak spark is usually caused by a failing ignition coil.

If you have good spark and you've already verified fuel pressure which looks to be reasonable, next I would install a noid light to see if you are getting the proper injector "pulse" from the computer.

The above two tests are going to narrow down what you look at next. It's a process of elimination. Good luck and keep us updated!
Perfect advice. You can even do the spark and noid light test at the same time lol. You can rent noid lights and even spark testers at Autozone
Old 01-03-2017, 06:48 PM

Default Thank you

Ok I have been busy not much time to work on the jeep, but I put gas in the throttle body and still no fire, does this eliminate the injector pulse problem? And I will be checking for spark in the near future
Old 01-04-2017, 07:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998

No, not at all... Ugh don't pour fuel into the throttle body. It's not a carburetor. A noid light is a tool. Use this to check for injector pulse.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:26 PM

Default Lol sorry

Sorry I am kinda old school this way