Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Won't idle revs if you go WOT

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Won't idle revs if you go WOT

So I'll try this one more time, jeep is currently kicking my ***, so I just finished completely rebuilding the 4.0 in my jeep it's a 2000 xj, had the dreaded 0331 head crack and it was just tired (280000 original miles) initially fought an issue with the grounding strap for the head not completing my grounding circuit for the coils, added a grounding cable and fixed that issue, also had my upstream 02 sensor stuck in high range, made my fuel maps go crazy, got all that taken care of and it ran good for a day, then on my way home from work my fuel mileage went to **** (1/4 tank for about 40 miles) I didn't have any power (just put a performance head, comp cam, bbk throttle body, heads etc.) To the point I was WOT to pull a slight hill and it would only run 60mph, got to my exit and it does when I stopped had to hold my foot on the break and gas to get it to start, then it stumbled and chugged to get home will not idle but will run very ****tily if I keep my foot in the accelorater, I thought maybe I had plugged my cat up so I pulled down my exhaust before cat and there is no change, I held my fuel rail Schrader valve while the pump was priming and I get a good spray however if I prime the rail and push the Schrader valve after the pump has turned off I only get a small dribble of fuel out of it, I'm thinking the fuel pump is ****, I'll be checking with a gauge tonight and an ethos to monitor, but has any one seen this or have experience with this issue, I'm overly frustrated and at my wits end chasing my *** with this thing, also I do not have a check engine light on or any stored or pending codes for anything