Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

witch is better?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default witch is better?

i want to put on a winch bumper and i am debating between the jcr offroad xj prerunner wench bumper and the hanson offroad Winch Guard Front Bumper, does anybody have any info about eather
Old 06-19-2010, 10:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Logans metal products.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

That is a nice bumper!
Old 06-19-2010, 11:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Bustedback
That is a nice bumper!
really, you think? by the looks of it, there is a winch plate under that winch holding the fairlead on.
also, i don't really care for the shackle tabs. the holes look too big, leaving very little material there for strength. wonder how it's all tied in.

i'd look into something like warn or arb. i know, big bucks, but they are built right and are tough as tanks.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:42 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

if you can wait, do a bit of searching. whether it be craigslist or ebay, keep an eye out for the big names. I found an ARB front bumper for 500 bucks on craigslist and a warn rear bumper on ebay for 225 shipped new. if you have the time, keep an eye out!
Old 06-20-2010, 01:47 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1988
Engine: Rebuilt 4.0L

Originally Posted by caged
really, you think? by the looks of it, there is a winch plate under that winch holding the fairlead on.
also, i don't really care for the shackle tabs. the holes look too big, leaving very little material there for strength. wonder how it's all tied in.

i'd look into something like warn or arb. i know, big bucks, but they are built right and are tough as tanks.
And here we have your classic kill-joy... That looks like a mighty fine bumper to me, after all, I don't think a company would produce a vehicle recovery tool that wouldn't be able to hold up to what it's meant for. If it has a winch mount, I would assume it can handle the strain of a winch. That would be like producing a tow strap rated for 20000 pounds, but really can only do 15000.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:51 AM
CF Veteran

Its all 1/4in from d-ring tab to d-ring tab and is tied into the steering gear box just like the so called BIG NAMES.I have pulled 1 ton trucks out of some pretty serious stuff.Thanks for the compliment on my bumper I worked so hard for.You'r rig looks pretty nice too.HAHA.Way to be a "MOD EDIT" buddy.Do you think ARB and Warn were big names the day they started?They earned their reputation somehow.You'r as bad as xjoffroad with your comments!

Last edited by OverlandZJ; 06-20-2010 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Profanity
Old 06-20-2010, 01:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

I still think it is a very nice looking bumper.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:34 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Bustedback
I still think it is a very nice looking bumper.
I thank you for you'r compliment.I thought it was too.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:47 PM
Registered Users

Year: 1992

I had a arb (no experience with warn) and it was one heavy bumper. it bent very easily and in my eyes are a waste of $$. the logan metal bumper troy and i have weigh alot less and are just as strong. the arb is NOT tough as a tank. try again!
Old 06-20-2010, 01:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94

Originally Posted by xjoffroad
I had a arb (no experience with warn) and it was one heavy bumper. it bent very easily and in my eyes are a waste of $$. the logan metal bumper troy and i have weigh alot less and are just as strong. the arb is NOT tough as a tank. try again!
Agreed.. i'v seen my share of bent ARB's as well. More of an Overlanders bumper, not something thats up to par compared to others for RockCrawlin.

I have an early Hanson bumper.. number three i think. I'm not completely satisfied with the frame tieins, it has the three stocks locations and a strap thats welded in and bolts through the large hole on both sides. It has held to hard pulls but i always wanted to incorporate a better mounting into it. I'd like to see how Hansons bolt in now...
Old 06-20-2010, 04:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

sorry, i didn't think it was built, thought it was a bought bumper from an existing manufacturer.
my point is if it was built to be a winch/recovery bumper, why not have a built in winch mount with integrated fairlead mount.

as for the shackle tabs, they still look thin as far as what metal was left after the hole was drilled. i'm sure it is plenty strong, but could have been stronger if the hole was smaller. you only need a 3/4 inch hole. but that's just my opinion. don't worry about that.

i do agree with arb tho, i wouldn't buy one myself, but i'm kinda biased. i have warn. lol.

but anyways, my apologies for being a kill-joy.

esthetically, it is a very nice looking bumper.

carry on...
Old 06-20-2010, 10:09 PM
CF Veteran

sorry, i didn't think it was built, thought it was a bought bumper from an existing manufacturer.
my point is if it was built to be a winch/recovery bumper, why not have a built in winch mount with integrated fairlead mount.

as for the shackle tabs, they still look thin as far as what metal was left after the hole was drilled. i'm sure it is plenty strong, but could have been stronger if the hole was smaller. you only need a 3/4 inch hole. but that's just my opinion. don't worry about that.

i do agree with arb tho, i wouldn't buy one myself, but i'm kinda biased. i have warn. lol.

but anyways, my apologies for being a kill-joy.

esthetically, it is a very nice looking bumper.

carry on...
Thanks .
Old 07-14-2010, 01:35 AM

I've got the same bumper as Troy, and let me tell you, it's frickin tough. I see the bumper outlasting the jeep.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:37 AM

Year: 1989

Originally Posted by Solidaxles
I've got the same bumper as Troy, and let me tell you, it's frickin tough. I see the bumper outlasting the jeep.
i may have missed this part but who makes it

Quick Reply: witch is better?