Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Wiring and Window Problems!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Wiring and Window Problems!!!!!!

Ok, Ive been scouring to find a solution for this or one similar but no luck. I have an 01 Cherokee sport. I can get the driver window to go down and up at times without hot wiring it but have no power to the other three. The door locks work on both front doors.Ive checked fuses in pass. kick panel and switched out the one under hood, soldered all the points in the master switch, bridged the window lock wires, fixed all broken wires at boot and then bought unbroken wiring for door at junkyard. Ive checked for continuity from plug in drivers kick panel to passenger door ( on the wires said to control windows)and they have continuity. I was hoping there was something ive missed i was wanting to get another master switch when i went to jy but they was all gone. Ive noticed that with passenger switch disconnected the key fob doesnt work. Could the master switch being faulty make u not be able to control all windows from any door and i was thinking of running new wiring to passeger door but didnt know which one to try(from trusted source),or if that would do any good?
Old 05-07-2015, 11:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by DirtyMoXJ
Ok, Ive been scouring to find a solution for this or one similar but no luck. I have an 01 Cherokee sport. I can get the driver window to go down and up at times without hot wiring it but have no power to the other three. The door locks work on both front doors.Ive checked fuses in pass. kick panel and switched out the one under hood, soldered all the points in the master switch, bridged the window lock wires, fixed all broken wires at boot and then bought unbroken wiring for door at junkyard. Ive checked for continuity from plug in drivers kick panel to passenger door ( on the wires said to control windows)and they have continuity. I was hoping there was something ive missed i was wanting to get another master switch when i went to jy but they was all gone. Ive noticed that with passenger switch disconnected the key fob doesnt work. Could the master switch being faulty make u not be able to control all windows from any door and i was thinking of running new wiring to passeger door but didnt know which one to try(from trusted source),or if that would do any good?
I'm sure it's a bit different on the 01 vs my 95 but I believe all the other doors flow through the driver door. Meaning if that switch is bad power may not flow to the other switches.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Cheddarnut
I'm sure it's a bit different on the 01 vs my 95 but I believe all the other doors flow through the driver door. Meaning if that switch is bad power may not flow to the other switches.
Well went to junk yard today and got a master switch and then I got some life out of three door. I pulled paper clip jumper for window lock beforehand and wasnt able to control at doors but spliced the lock wires and SUCCESS!!!!! These master switches must be junk or the wires breaking in door jam may have fried it, but i have no power at back drivers side door im gunna check window motor tomorrow if it works i guess ill be ordering new MS. This problem was more complicated to diagnose than just the window lock fix and thats all I could find on subject. So if you fix wires in door jam and do WL fix and you still cant control windows its most definitely the switch.

But thanks for the confidence boost Cheddar it does seem all control over windows does flow through switch
Old 05-11-2015, 11:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 99 94
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: I6

The switch on my 99 is bad. All windows work only from drivers most of the time. If I hit the window lock button a bunch of times, then the windows will work from all seats. I don't really care to replace the switch. I want control.