Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default wiring question

I smoked a wire in my wiring harness behind the dash..( the old owner put a 30 amp fuse in a 10 amp slot) now my raido and cig lighter don't work and i havd no power to one of the fuse's in the fuse block I checked all the other fuses (even under the hood) and none of them are blown... What's the easiest way to track down to burnt wire/wires??? any advice would be nice. never ran into a problom like this before..
Old 11-08-2009, 12:18 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990 Renix
Engine: 4.0L

Make friends with someone who understands a volt meter I'm sorry I dont know how to use one.. BUT I do know that doing it wrong can set off your airbag if you have one... so beee careful.

good luck
Old 11-08-2009, 04:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996

First, make sure the fuse itself isn't getting any power. You can test this with a test light, or voltmeter. Put one probe on ground, touch the other one to each of the two terminals. Assuming you probably already checked this, then the burned wire is before the fuse box, and is simply a 12v feed. Your best bet will be to look for the color of the wire it is behind the box, and try to trace it. To confirm the wire is burned, you can check the resistance from one end to the other with a digital multimeter.

You could always just move that circuit to a spare slot in your fuse box, that is getting power. You'll save lots of time this way.

Oh yeah, and disable the airbag. I believe the owners manual has instructions in there, that will tell you where the fuse is... but its always a good idea to unplug the negative side of the battery, and pull the fuse for the airbag(s), just in case.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:32 PM

Year: 1995

thanks for the tips guys. i was able to fix the prob today.. my raido works again. thank god 1 hour drive to work and back everyday get dull with out some tunes..