Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Windshield for Jeep XJ

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 Liter "Power Tech Six"
Default Windshield for Jeep XJ

Has Jeep discontinued OEM Windshield Glass for Jeep XJ?

If so, what Brand of After-Market Glass FITS the Jeep XJ the Best?

I know the default answer will be that all after-market should fit the same, but I don't think so.

Can anyone relay an experience with perfect fitting Windshield Glass, especially the rubber molding around the glass.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:46 PM

Default XJ Windsheild Moulding

OK... After-Market Glass is OK... The windshield is Glass # 1140 from one maker of glass to the next. However, each installer provides their own molding. The molding installed on my Jeep looks like crap and doesn't lay flat.

Does anybody have a recommendation for a factory fitting windshield molding on the Jeep XJ?

A major Glass Supplier with much TV advertising doesn't seem to know which molding applies to the Jeep XJ.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Quadratec may have a good moulding. Safelite always had nice mouldings on the couple (out of several) windshield replacements I went through on my TJ.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:39 AM

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 Cyl / 4L

Not sure how the 95 XJ does the molding on the windshield, but on the 96 the OEM molding has to go on when the windshield is removed as it grooves into the edges of the glass. Then both pieces are installed as one.

My point being, you may not be able to get the OEM molding on the new windshield once installed.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Engine: 4.0

I tried to get my glass installer to use OEM molding, but he wouldn't do it. And yes, you have to remove the windshield to replace the molding. The OP should go back to his installer and ask about warranty regarding the molding if it looks that bad. He may tell you to pound sand, or he may be willing to help.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:52 PM

Default Jeep Cherokee XJ Windshield Moulding

The actual aftermarket glass windshield is dentical to OEM. It can be verified by seeing Windshield # is DW1140 stamped on galss. DW 1140 is identical across the board to OEM (Glass # used by all after-market makers is DW01140GPNMOP)

An OEM moulding should fit DW 1140.

Quadratrac has this windshield moulding made by OMIX ADA. Has anybody used or have comment in regard to this moulding versus factory?

https://www.quadratec.com/products/912035_58_07.htm

The moulding put on my vehicle by Safelite is awful.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by XJ_95_in_GA
Has Jeep discontinued OEM Windshield Glass for Jeep XJ?
https://www.mymoparpart.com/p/Jeep_1...SABEgK9c_D_BwE
Old 03-01-2018, 10:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To my experience the moldings don't fit properly, they are too small! Solution: Before you apply the molding to the windscreen, you must heat it up by putting it into a cardboard box, cut a hole in it and heat it through this hole with a blow dryer. Just heating the molding at open air doesn't work!
Old 03-01-2018, 01:25 PM

Turbo XJ: I appreciate the reference, but that windshield does not fit a 95 XJ... I called...

michaelo: The moulding installed by SafeLite is too big. It extends over body lines and is not even left to right.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 01, 99, 98, 98,98

Originally Posted by XJ_95_in_GA

The moulding put on my vehicle by Safelite is awful.
We had the windshield replaced 2 times within 12 months, both times Safelite replaced it. Both times the molding didn't fit correctly at the top corners. They actually go up to the drip rail and don't sit flat on the roof/A pillar area. It looks as though water could be channeled under it.

The second time around I mentioned it to the installer and he tweaked the windshield around and got it the best it could get. Much better than the first time but still no where close to the original. I have 2 others that need windshields as well and I was contemplating looking for alternatives. There's several auto glass shops local to me though so that's the route I'm taking for those.

I had a windshield replaced in my 94 chevy van by a guy who is self employed but has a couple friends who help him out. They do a fairly high volume of work. The seal used on my van fits like original. But if fitment quality differs by vehicle then that may be pointless.
Old 03-02-2018, 06:08 AM

Waynerd: Your description of Safelite's moulding is spot-on!! Their mouldings for Jeep XJ are KRAP! For me, the passenger side corner hits the drip rail with a gap on the driver's side. I have same issue with not lying flat allowing water to channel beneath. Did your moulding ever straighten out?
Old 03-02-2018, 06:28 AM

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Engine: I6 Cyl / 4L

Originally Posted by michaelo
To my experience the moldings don't fit properly, they are too small! Solution: Before you apply the molding to the windscreen, you must heat it up by putting it into a cardboard box, cut a hole in it and heat it through this hole with a blow dryer. Just heating the molding at open air doesn't work!
Great idea about the box. I had to heat mine with the blow dryer as I was putting it on which was very difficult but it worked eventually. I think it is made small so it fits tight once it sets.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97

Anyone have a good priced source to order a windshield? I have to make my Jeep fit a new windshield because of the roll over. So far safelite and others either will not sell me just the windshield, or they want to charge me the installation whether they put it in or not. I tried to explain that it is currently not going to fit if I have them put it in, I have to use the windshield as a template to bend the Jeep to fit a windshield again. They just don't get it.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:39 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1997

Any chance we could get some pictures of some of these moldings that don't work so that we can SEE the flaws you're talking about?
Old 03-02-2018, 10:31 AM

Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

For me, the best moldings are GGG http://www.gggcorp.com/ The windshields I prefer are Pilkington brand, with a DOT code of 15, meaning that it is from North America.

As mentioned above, the part number is DW1140GBN, meaning Domestic Windshield #1140, Green tint, Blue shade band across the top, No attachments.

YMMV,
KenR

Quick Reply: Windshield for Jeep XJ