Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Window problem!!!!!!! HELP

Old 03-22-2008, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Window problem!!!!!!! HELP

Hey all, about 4 months back i bought a 2001 blue jeep cherokee 4x4. I live in WI, so a 4x4 is very helpful around this time of the year. Any way yesturday after i got off work i was putting my passenger windown down. My jeep has all power windows, and after i got it went down a few inches now it wont go back up. It just goes down but wont go up. I pulled off the door pannel to inspect the wiring and unpluged the wiring harness and plugged it back in but still nothing. I checked the fuse and thats fine. It dosent make sence why it only goes down and not up. Any help would be seriously appreciated, considering its snowing out and i dont really want to drive my jeep and leave the windows down at work while it snows. Thanks in advance.

Aaron
Old 03-22-2008, 10:38 AM

I'm guessing but it may be your window lock that may be acting up. Here's an easy fix that you might try. http://soxja.org/images/pics/Bypass/Bypass.html

Good luck.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:09 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Take apart the whole switch panel and clean everything off. Then clean all of the plugs and make sure they are very securely plugged in. Then test with your door panel still off. I almost 100% positive its something loose down there.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:11 PM

check all windows from master switch if all but 1 work its not master switch since the switch is all integrated together.try lowering the window with help from someone else(push down on window while pushing DOWN on switch)THEN push up on window switch while someone helps the window up...if that works replace regulator/motor(they come together from dealer $125.00)the window lowers with 80%gravity and 20%motor it takes100%motor to push it up.motors go bad all the time,ive replaced one in both my cherokees...EASY JOB 45 MIN MAX TO DO COMPLETE JOB.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:52 PM

Thanks all, i just got off work so i think i'll go out and rip into it. How hard should i be pulling up on the window when i try to pull it up? I tried it just by myself and it wasnt doing anything but i didnt want to break anything so i wasnt pulling really hard. I think it is prolly tho motor tho, becase i seem to recall that window going up slower than the rest. Thanks hope i can get if fixed this weekend.

Aaron
Old 03-22-2008, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Redneck7591
Thanks all, i just got off work so i think i'll go out and rip into it. How hard should i be pulling up on the window when i try to pull it up? I tried it just by myself and it wasnt doing anything but i didnt want to break anything so i wasnt pulling really hard. I think it is prolly tho motor tho, becase i seem to recall that window going up slower than the rest. Thanks hope i can get if fixed this weekend.

Aaron
I wouldn't try to force the window up if you dont have to. It may verywell be the motor in which case its not too hard of an install. Double check the wiring first but if its just one window I would put my money on the motor.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:22 PM

pull up on window while someone else pushes the switch up. window should go up with a little effort.if no one pushes the switch the window will not move cause your fighting the motor.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:44 PM

Well the window wont go up when someone pushes the switich and i pull up on the window. So im not sure what else to do. I took the whole switch thing off and tried to take it apart but couldnt really get it. Is there a way i can just manulally get the window up so at least i can drive my jeep around? Am i too assume it is the motor then? If it as the motor wouldnt the window still go up when i pull up on it and have some one do the switch? All the other windows work , except that one so i dont think its any other wiring problem. Thanks
Old 03-22-2008, 04:04 PM

I would forget about forcing it and just go pick up a motor for it. That would be my next step.
Old 03-22-2008, 04:49 PM

Does anyone know where i can get the motor the cheapist? I called a few auto parts stores and the one that was open wasnt able to get it. Is there any way to manually get the window up until i can get it replaced? Thanks
Old 03-22-2008, 06:21 PM

remove window from regulator(a couple of bolts) and tape it up... not to secure from the bad guys but it will be up.also does the motor make any sound when you push the switch.can you feel the motor clicking or any sound when you push the switch...still my thought is the motor/regulator.call the nearist jeep dealership theyll have one.they come together
Old 03-22-2008, 06:53 PM

call the nearest jeep dealership. the regulator and motor come together.parts plus or kragen wont have it.the regulator is a cable looking thing and comes attached to the motor. ive never just replaced the motor and dont think its possible. it takes about 45 minutes to do the whole job.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:05 PM

I pulled out the motor and have the window up. I didnt notice any noises from the motor or anything but i wasnt listening really good either. I think i'll try and switch the wires around so when i push the botton to go down it would really go up. Im going to try and figure out how to test that switch too it looks like it could be difficult because its enclosed in the box that houses all the electrical wiring for that and the door locks. thanks for all your help i feel much better knowing i can go to work with out my windwos down. Thanks again
Old 03-22-2008, 08:19 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

With the door panel off and the motor out use a test light across the 2 wires in the connector for the motor (point on one wire and alligator clip on the other. Turn on the key and plug in your switch. Light should light up and down. If it does your wiring and switches are good and motor/regulator needs replaced (which is most likely anyway).

Last edited by jeeptech; 03-22-2008 at 08:20 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-07-2008, 11:45 AM

Default Window problem

Well i finally got around took tryin to fix this window again and i was about to buy the motor, until i first decided to try the window motor in the drivers door to see if it worked. Problem is, is that it did. So now i dont think its the motor. I noticed when i plugged the motor back in the passenger door that the windwo switch isnt lighting up but the door lock switch is. I guess its just not getting any power. Any suggestions i wish it was just the motor so i could go out and buy a new one, now im not sure what to do. thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Window problem!!!!!!! HELP