Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

White smoke surrounding engine?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 02:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default White smoke surrounding engine?

Hey, I'm pretty sure there is no problem here, but I wanted some of your guesses as to the problem before I ignored it. Ok, so I rebuilt my head and replaced my head gasket in a period of about 4 hours, and after everything was re assembled, with the exception of the thermostat housing, which seems to be leaking from a crack where the bottom bolt meets it, (it was on, just leaking), I started her up, and she ran well, with a lot of lifter noise, which of course is to be expected. Anyway, there is no coolant/water going through the engine, as firstly the thermostat is closed, and secondly the thermostat housing is just shooting water absolutely everywhere. The engine after idling for about a minute just gets surrounded by white smoke, seems to be running like a dream, I'm guessing either exhaust leak, or what I really think is that it is kicking up all the grease I put in the head while rebuilding it, there's a ton of liquid wrench, pb blaster, and most of all, acetone all over the head, and I'm almost certain the lifters are just kicking it up into the air, nonetheless, I want to know everyone's thoughts on possible malfunctions that could cause this, I mean it isn't burning water/antifreeze, and it doesn't smell like that at all, it pretty much smells like oil/grease, and no, it's not my valve stem seals.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:41 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,525 Likes on 1,237 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Fix the coolant leak.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:21 PM

Default Fixed coolant leak

I fixed the coolant leak today, it’s still white smoking. It seems like it’s leaking from below the exhaust manifold so I’m gunna try and tighten that down.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:12 PM

Default Update again

i presume my guess about the grease was correct, it was mostly I would say liquid wrench, it was coming out of the valve cover, but I idled the motor for a bit with the white smoke going everywhere and now it seems to be better. Thanks for your help.