Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

whining noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default whining noise

Awhile back regarding my 90 xj laredo I posted about an annoying whining noise coming from somewhere under or behind my dash. It only stopped when I tapped the brake pedal. The noise persisted so I decided to dismantle all the dash components so I could get closer to the noise. While rooting around on the floorboard trying to remove all the screws that hold it all together. I put my hand on the side of the trans tunnel just to the right of the accelerator pedal to brace myself and the noise stopped (I had the key on so I could zero in on the source of the noise). It started again after I lifted my hand. If I pressed on the carpet, the noise would change tone and start and stop. I peeled the carpet back to see what was under there and found two things. 1 - a black square thing about the size of an ice cube and, 2 - a cylindrical shaped thing about the size of a big cigar butt. They both had wires coming and going. I think they followed the trans tunnel down toward the rear. I don't know where they went since I didn't tear the carpet out to follow them yet. It seems clear to me that those objects have something to do with the brake switch circuit

Does any one know offhand what those two objects are? Tomorrow I will finish pulling the carpet up to follow the wires to wherever they go. Is this issue associated with the trans, or brake/tail lights?

What is puzzling me is that by just wiggling and moving those objects around, the noise goes away.

I'm happy I found the source but would like to get an informed diagnosis.

Cheers

Last edited by tramphardrocker; 01-15-2018 at 07:04 PM.