Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Where are the top dawgs in this forum??? We need your help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 03:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1994/ 96 engine
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight 6 Baby!
Question Where are the top dawgs in this forum??? We need your help!

I see a ton of posts, including mine that have similar problems with just getting their Jeeps started.... and most of us already know the basic 3...fuel, spark, flatulence. But I know there are really smart guys in here. maybe you guys don't wanna repeat yourselves anymore...you told that advice 67 times....I get it. But we just want our trucks to work and you guys know everything. If you don't wish to talk just post links to your previous posts that helped others with the same problems! I implore you! What good is a forum if the smartest guys don't care anymore? And someone may post do a search..not always that easy. I did find the oil post(so awesome) But what difference will that make when my Jeep does not start with Rotella t6...all I am asking is for a senior poster to point us somewhere..with a link or something/ I will repost the link in all the other guys posts with similar situations. Thanks for your time. If you had a computer problem I could always fix that. But I can wrench all day. that is all
Old 01-20-2019, 05:11 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Have you perused the "stickies"?

I'm sorry, but I don't see the issue you are ranting about.

Gimme a link to a thread where you are having a problem.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:41 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Have you perused the "stickies"?

I'm sorry, but I don't see the issue you are ranting about.

Gimme a link to a thread where you are having a problem.
I think he is referring to the post below
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/wont-f-start-249166/
Old 01-20-2019, 05:57 PM

Oh. Well, it looks like he got very decent input from trusted forum members......Kinda hard sometimes to fix something when you're not there.

Someone mentioned multiple threads. Didn't verify that myself, but I trust who posted that.
The multiple thread thing makes it difficult to follow.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 481 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

If that is the thread, all I can say is too many people have had their hands on this, not to mention an engine swap. Since different years were used, did you use the original sensors, flex plate and intake?
Old 01-20-2019, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ
If that is the thread, all I can say is too many people have had their hands on this, not to mention an engine swap. Since different years were used, did you use the original sensors, flex plate and intake?
So, this must not be you....

Old 01-20-2019, 06:55 PM
CF Veteran

Yup, usually is. That is why I ask questions
Old 01-20-2019, 08:03 PM
THE Admin

Received 231 Likes on 187 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.Slow

OP and other newer members. Please take account a few things here.,

1) A majority of smaller, simple things can be answered by browsing the Stickies section.

2) There are a lot of members here, in various time zones. 10-1, great members and even some new ones will gladly give the correct answers before some of us others have time to see it. Thank you all for your contributions..

3) IF other members have already given the correct answer to a members issue, then we generally don't retype it. Usually one of us will just politely follow with an X2 or commending the members who gave helpful info.

4) IF you get too flustered or can not find the answer to your issue, you may gladly PM one of us Staff and we will gladly help you once we log on.

Again, I extend a big Thank You to all who do give sound advice to issues. Yes, we joke and may have a few "trolls", but for the most part, some of the "trolls" will eventually help answer your questions or post a link to what you need after they have had a laugh. Even on the fb page.

Last edited by Outlaw Star; 01-21-2019 at 09:23 PM.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:06 PM

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts
Year: 1987

Not your year vehicle, but since you asked a general question, one of the more common Renix-era intermittent or long-crank start issues I've read is sometimes attributed to the signal strength of the crank position sensor. Some people have filed out the hole a bit to get the sensor closer to the flywheel with some starting success. I haven't tried that trick. Another possible fix is cleaning out the intake manifold sensor (again Renix Era Jeeps), which can become quite gummed up with oil and gunk and not read properly.

Last edited by Jeepwalker; 01-20-2019 at 10:09 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Dude, you have had input from the top-est of the top "dawgs" - Cruiser, Tjwalker, etc.

I don't know if it's helpful, but I've had a bit of a starting problem in the super cold weather - starter cranks ferociously so it seems unlikely a starter or battery. Once it starts up it runs fine - of course, I still grabbed a fuel pressure gauge and will be testing that shortly, but considering it runs great once it's going, I don't believe the pump is flakey. Interestingly, I noticed that when it cranks but won't fire up that the fuel pump isn't priming. If I do hear the pump prime, it fires up. After a little research, I found a guy had a similar issue and replaced the Computer which corrected it. I've got a relay that's compatible with the fuel pump kicking around, so I'm going to swap that out when I find the new relay and I actually already had a newly used Computer that I was planning on swapping in already (the one in there is the wrong part number, so I came across a good deal on the correct part number and figured I'd grab it and put it in). I'm waiting until the weather is not sub-zero though.

Long story short, are you hearing the pump prime when you turn the key to the "On" position? If not, you could be getting fine pressure when it's running, but not enough fuel on startup. Since you mentioned swapping relays with no change, I'd take a good long look at the connection for the relay (clean it up) and the wiring to the key components - fuel pump, CPS, ignition coil, etc.
Don't forget to clean up the ground in the trunk behind the spare tire trim panel - most folks miss that one and it is notorious for causing weird flaking out of the vehicle.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

It sounds like a lot of guessing, busy work and lobbing parts at the truck has taken place so far and, through it all, the one connector that was at fault got disturbed and made continuity again. Then, it suddenly lost continuity and looped the truck back to square one. I would do as others have suggested and revisit all the connections and ground points again, spray down the plugs/connectors/receptacles with contact cleaner and brighten all ground points. Knowing where they all are is the first and best question to ask at this point.

I unplugged them all on a 98 I recently got road worthy, cleaned them and then did the same on all ground points, including the aft chassis ground PatHenry mentions. All my maintenance was directed by reading the wealth of information available on this forum through patient searches to connect the dots resolving problems I was encountering. This stuff isn't intuitive to any mechanic who can tell a 9/16" bolt head from a 14mm by blind feel alone. It has to be learned by research and making the best use of it.

Oh, and if anyone hasn't read the thanks between the lines above....Thanks!
Old 01-21-2019, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Idunno
It sounds like a lot of guessing, busy work and lobbing parts at the truck has taken place so far and, through it all, the one connector that was at fault got disturbed and made continuity again. Then, it suddenly lost continuity and looped the truck back to square one. I would do as others have suggested and revisit all the connections and ground points again, spray down the plugs/connectors/receptacles with contact cleaner and brighten all ground points. Knowing where they all are is the first and best question to ask at this point.

I unplugged them all on a 98 I recently got road worthy, cleaned them and then did the same on all ground points, including the aft chassis ground PatHenry mentions. All my maintenance was directed by reading the wealth of information available on this forum through patient searches to connect the dots resolving problems I was encountering. This stuff isn't intuitive to any mechanic who can tell a 9/16" bolt head from a 14mm by blind feel alone. It has to be learned by research and making the best use of it.

Oh, and if anyone hasn't read the thanks between the lines above....Thanks!

Well stated.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:05 PM
Seasoned Member

First off...I would like to thank you all for the advice you have given me over many different situations. Second, I would like to apologize if I came off rude for being kinda dickish about the advice thing. I think I let my frustrations get the best of me when I thought my truck was fixed. Running all day Saturday and then going back to square one Sunday was quite devastating. There are several questions posted in here I cannot answer yet.

I can say to PatHenry..my fuel pump always primes when I turn the key and I can certainly hear it. The ground in the trunk I knew nothing about but can't wait to get onto that one!

4.3L XJ, I can confirm that the original sensors and intake were used in the beginning, but I cannot confirm the flexplate unless I talk to my mechanic...I do recall that they had some issues with adaptation in that area between the 94 and 96 motor swap.
but the jeep ran well for a few weeks as it was just chokin on injector cleaner and seafoam for a bit. Always started first shot though.

Cruiser54 I get it man. You are always there for everyone and I really appreciate it. I did read a lot of stickies but I suppose I need to get back up in there. Anyway all I can say is thanks and sometimes I get a bit emotional like a chic or something about my xj, she was on her way to greatness and then I got stuck dead in my tracks where even my mechanic was reluctant to work on her.
I will not be giving it back to him either. This is me now. I want to fix her myself. With a windchill of -7 I may not get to her for a bit. But I know I can count on some great guys for advice....after I read more stickies!!!
Thanks to the rest of you, Idunno, Jeepwalker, and Outlaw Star(layin out the law). I will be looking into everything. I just want my jeep back.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:22 AM
CF Veteran

Did you find top dead center when the new distributor was installed?
Old 01-22-2019, 05:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ
Did you find top dead center when the new distributor was installed?
I was there when my mechanic did it, he turned the engine with a wrench to what I hope was TDC. I mean it ran fine all day that day when I did an oil change so I don't think it was not at TDC.

Quick Reply: Where are the top dawgs in this forum??? We need your help!