Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Where to run wires from engine bay to cab?

Old 03-16-2012, 12:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Where to run wires from engine bay to cab?

When running wires from your engine bay into your cab, how do you do it? Do you punch through the boot where other wires run through (near the accelerator pedal)? Do you drill your own hole? (If so, where?)
Old 03-16-2012, 12:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

I just found on my 90, there is a rubber, (like), plug, right up in the corner by the brake booster, above the, (my), fuse-box. Also was contemplating making a hole over near the blower.

Maybe there are better ways, that's what I have.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:59 AM

Hmmm...I'll look for that. Not sure it's on my 96, but that would be convenient! Thanks!
Old 03-16-2012, 01:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

On my '89, I drilled holes into the cab under the coolant tray but it's best to use a drill bit with a collar on it so you don't drill through the expensive and delicate A/C goodies on the other side. You can usually get water-proof grommets at your local auto parts store. I'd recommend getting the grommets first then drill the appropriate size hole.

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
I just found on my 90, there is a rubber, (like), plug, right up in the corner by the brake booster, above the, (my), fuse-box. Also was contemplating making a hole over near the blower.

Maybe there are better ways, that's what I have.
I'm gonna check mine tomorrow. I've got some more wires to run and that would be easier than drilling new holes.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:09 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 6 cyl

Originally Posted by Ian96XJ
When running wires from your engine bay into your cab, how do you do it? Do you punch through the boot where other wires run through (near the accelerator pedal)? Do you drill your own hole? (If so, where?)
I found on my 94 the passenger side of the engine bay there is a small opening into the fender were the stereo antenna wire runs, it runs into passenger side thru a grommet behind the trim I put a lil slice in grommet to fit my wire so it would stay snug n still be sealed and then put the trim piece back on
Old 03-16-2012, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by F1Addict
On my '89, I drilled holes into the cab under the coolant tray but it's best to use a drill bit with a collar on it so you don't drill through the expensive and delicate A/C goodies on the other side. You can usually get water-proof grommets at your local auto parts store. I'd recommend getting the grommets first then drill the appropriate size hole.
Is it only a single wall you drill through or is it two walls with some space in-between? And if so, how much space?
Old 03-16-2012, 01:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Hmmm...I'll look for that. Not sure it's on my 96, but that would be convenient! Thanks!
Just single wall there on mine. Since I worked on it for the PO, I can say it took me 14 years or so to find that plug!
Old 03-16-2012, 01:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

Is it only a single wall you drill through or is it two walls with some space in-between? And if so, how much space?
It's just a single wall. This is where I drilled mine...

Those are 6 ga. wires, one for my amp and one for my inverter.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by speedballin
I found on my 94 the passenger side of the engine bay there is a small opening into the fender were the stereo antenna wire runs, it runs into passenger side thru a grommet behind the trim I put a lil slice in grommet to fit my wire so it would stay snug n still be sealed and then put the trim piece back on
I saw that opening, but I didn't see where to put a wire through when I took out the plastic trim. Maybe I just need to look harder. Thanks!
Old 03-16-2012, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by F1Addict

I'm gonna check mine tomorrow. I've got some more wires to run and that would be easier than drilling new holes.
Nice work! If I can't punch through some existing grommets/plugs, it's nice to know where I can still drill safely.