Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

where can i find....

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 6 Cyl. 4.0 HO
Default where can i find....

a better motor for my '91 XJ? i have real bad rod knock and main bearing grind. also my rear main seal is leaking and its getting slightly worse. i only have a few hundred to play with a for a motor and its gotta be a decent one with slightly low miles. i kno the 4.0 HO motor is supposed to be bullet proof and last forever but i can't take the chance. also i kno they mostly have high miles due to that fact if i were to find one in a junkyard but i want something with a little over 100k if possible.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:54 AM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 inline 6

junk/salvage yards, ebay, miracle of jesus

salvage yard is probably your best bet, it's just one of those things where it'll be trying to find the right one for the right price
Old 04-28-2010, 10:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 rebuilt w/ bored TB, banks header, upgraded ignition, 3 row rad, high flow h2o pump, 180* t-stat

haha miracle of jesus
i got mine off graigslist, guy rolled his 99' and was parting it out. Took me 2 months to find it. just keep your ear to the ground and ask around. im sure there is a totaled XJ near you that would be willing to donate its heart...
Old 04-28-2010, 01:55 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: H.O. 4.0 I6

You should see if you can come up with a bit more money, I was just looking into remanufactured 4.0 engines, and I couldn't believe how cheap they can be had for, even cheaper than a remanned chevy sb, I'm planning on going this route in the not too distant future, mine still runs good, but it'd be nice knowing you've got a brand new 0 mile engine.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:21 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 6 Cyl. 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by Ogre in KS
You should see if you can come up with a bit more money, I was just looking into remanufactured 4.0 engines, and I couldn't believe how cheap they can be had for, even cheaper than a remanned chevy sb, I'm planning on going this route in the not too distant future, mine still runs good, but it'd be nice knowing you've got a brand new 0 mile engine.

well what does a re-manned 4.0 HO go for? that bit of info would be helpful. haha.