Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Wheel referb

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 05:21 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Wheel referb

The wheels on the '96er have seen better days so I'm gonna spend some time and give them a face lift. I've got the darker colored version of the Jeep wheel called the Grizzly.

They've been scuffed some on the edges and that's led to the clear coat peeling.

I'm planning on generally following the directions in this video I found on refurbing wheels. Basically this guy uses a small 120 grit flap wheel on a Dremel to grind out some fairly deep gashes, followed by wet sanding with 400, 600, 1000 and 2000 grit. Then gets the clear coat off with stripper followed by polishing with a foam pad on a drill w/ Meguiar's Metal Polish.

After cleaning he adds the clear coat back with 3 coats of Rust-Oleum American Accents Clear Gloss.

Here's the 14 min video if you're interested...

First question is...since I've got a two tone wheel how does this effect how I do the referb? I don't have any scratches in the darker spoke parts so no worries having to get into that. My grinding and sanding would only be in the lighter outer ring area.

And second, any recommendations for a stripper and a clear coat?
Save