Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Wheel Fell off at 75 MPH (New to Forum )

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Wheel Fell off at 75 MPH (New to Forum )

Hi, all!

My name is Scott, and I am new to the forum. I live in Tucson, Arizona, and finally have purchased a 1988 Cherokee (which would've been born when I was a junior in high school!). Definitely looking forward to getting her out in the desert.

Unfortunately, on the way home, the driver's side rear wheel came off, followed by the drum. I was traveling about 75 MPH. Fortunately, no one was hurt, though my tire apparently rolled across the median and hit another car. Two exciting trips across the median to retrieve my parts, and a hundred mile tow later, she's in my driveway waiting to be brought back to life.

The issue, by the way, was the previous owner had installed spacers but not retorqued them. I won't be using spacers!

Before flying off, the drum had a large flat spot worn on it from being dragged on the pavement, so I purchased two new drums. I thought all I would have to to do was remove the spacers, but I have an issue I need help with: when I tighten the lug nuts, even to 30 lb-ft, the wheel that came off binds so that I can't spin it.

I noticed that when I mounted the opposite (passenger's side rear) wheel, the "shoulder" on the studs extends almost flush with the holes in the drum; on the other hand, the studs on the affected side do not stick out as far. I am taking up close to 1/8" additional stud play on the bad side.

I am thinking that the side loading may have forced the axle or bearing inward. I measured run-out, end play, and stud length on both sides, and the measurements are pretty close to each other.

I would sure appreciate any help y'all could offer helping me figure out what has malfunctioned, plus how to fix it! I've been turning wrenches for years (engine rebuild, clutches, timing belts, etc.), but I've never worked on a 4x4.

Thank you, and have a great day!

Scott
Old 04-10-2017, 07:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Glad you made it and no one was hurt. Sometimes I wonder what would happen if I had a blow out at 70mph.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:02 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

Have you pulled the differential cover and taken a look?

Also, are the studs "close" or are they the exact same length? I ask because I'm pretty sure that year used two different length wheel studs, one for front and one for rear.

Just spitballing here...
Old 04-10-2017, 09:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

You need a new hub. The studs are never going to fit securely again. They were subjected to tremendous forces far beyond the design limits.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

Pull the axle shafts out and inspect everything for damage. Put on new wheel-studs on at a minimum
​​​​​​Make sure the drum backing plate isn't warped or damaged
​​​​​​
Good time to clean out the rear diff as well, maybe consider wheel bearings since they are cheap and easy to do in the rear
Old 04-10-2017, 11:00 PM

Year: 1987

Definitely do what Waffles suggested!!! I mean how can you go wrong with advice from a member with Waffles in their name... I remember loosing my front wheel on my baja back in the days, on the freeway and doing like 65-70. The wheel took off like it was doing 100, and bounced over center median! While it was in the air, a motorcycle heading other direction, the rider had to duck so the wheel wouldn't take him out(A HOLY SH.. situation)!!!! Not to mention the 4th of July show being displayed from my drum!!!!!! Glad i didn't have the disc brake conversion at the time....
And thank God or whatever you want to call it that no one got hurt!!!
Old 04-12-2017, 01:53 PM

BrawnyDog: Thanks, I was very lucky for sure--and glad it wasn't the front wheel!

Last edited by ScottInAZ; 04-12-2017 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Forgot to include user name responding to!
Old 04-12-2017, 01:55 PM

JimboSlice: I have not done that yet, but that'll be high on my priority list! Never having worked on a differential before, is there something in particular I should be looking for?

And I didn't check studs front to rear, just compared rears. They were within a few thousandths of each each (comparing rear to rear).

Thank you for your reply!

Scott

Last edited by ScottInAZ; 04-12-2017 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Forgot to include user name responding to!
Old 04-12-2017, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
You need a new hub. The studs are never going to fit securely again. They were subjected to tremendous forces far beyond the design limits.
Agreed! Thank you for your reply!

The hub just unbolts and slide-hammers off, right?

Scott
Old 04-12-2017, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by investinwaffles
Pull the axle shafts out and inspect everything for damage. Put on new wheel-studs on at a minimum
​​​​​​Make sure the drum backing plate isn't warped or damaged
​​​​​​
Good time to clean out the rear diff as well, maybe consider wheel bearings since they are cheap and easy to do in the rear
So it looks like you pull the rear diff cover, unbolt the axle shafts, and then pull those out through the wheel side, right? Anything in particular I should be looking for, other than "Wow, that looks f***ed!"?

And the bearings you're referencing are on the outboard side, inside the hub, right?

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply!

Scott
Old 04-12-2017, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by hillbilly slim
Definitely do what Waffles suggested!!! I mean how can you go wrong with advice from a member with Waffles in their name... I remember loosing my front wheel on my baja back in the days, on the freeway and doing like 65-70. The wheel took off like it was doing 100, and bounced over center median! While it was in the air, a motorcycle heading other direction, the rider had to duck so the wheel wouldn't take him out(A HOLY SH.. situation)!!!! Not to mention the 4th of July show being displayed from my drum!!!!!! Glad i didn't have the disc brake conversion at the time....
And thank God or whatever you want to call it that no one got hurt!!!
Haha! Yes, I feel very lucky!

Take care,
Scott
Old 04-12-2017, 03:27 PM

Year: 1994

first welcome from one Scott to anther...glad you are safe and yes pull axle and put on new studs.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

What rear axle is the jeep equipped with?
Old 04-12-2017, 07:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

You picked a fine time to leave me, loose wheel,
75 miles an hour and I don't like that feel....

Old 04-12-2017, 08:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1985
Engine: 2.5L

Originally Posted by ScottInAZ
So it looks like you pull the rear diff cover, unbolt the axle shafts, and then pull those out through the wheel side, right? Anything in particular I should be looking for, other than "Wow, that looks f***ed!"?

And the bearings you're referencing are on the outboard side, inside the hub, right?

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply!

Scott
1988 should have C-Clips holding the axles in so you have to remove the diff cover and remove the clips from the end of the shaft so it will slide out of the tube.

Correct on the bearings.