Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Wheel cylinders...is it a diy project??

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Wheel cylinders...is it a diy project??

Just had some new rubber put on not long ago and the tire shop told that i needed to replace my wheel cylinders on the rear. These days it is a lot easier on my pocket to tackle some of these projects myself but they are all new to me. Working on my 98' XJ has become quite the hobby for me, any input on this would be appreciated. Thanks!!
Old 12-29-2012, 08:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

It can be done but you need some guidance material and some tooling that you may not have in your tool box.

If you don't have a factory service manual to go by, a Haynes manual has some fairly good info on brake work.

You'll need to bleed the brakes when you've completed the installation work so you'll need some brake bleeder tooling. I got a vacuum hand pump bleeder from Harbor Freight that works good.

You'll probably find that the nuts that hold the brake line to the brake cylinder are rusted in place so you'll end up breaking/ruining the brake line(s) getting everything apart. This means you'll need to buy replacement brake lines from the dealer or make your own. Makng your own will require a quality tube bender and a flaring tool. NAPA stores have precut lengths of tubing with flares and nuts that may fit. They won't have the stone guards though.

Other tools for working on rear brakes will be required. The Haynes manual illustrates the use of these tools, which are available at the auto parts stores.

The brake drums are probably shot so you'll need to buy new ones. You'll need to beat the drums off the axle so you'll need a BMFH. Brake shoes and parts kits are available at the auto parts stores.

The tire shops charge big bucks for rear brakes but it may be worth it having them do it and be done with it. If you do it you'll end up with tooling you may never use again, but then again, you won't have the pleasure (LOL) of doing it yourself.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

or if everything goes well, it's 10 bux each for the wheel cylinders, a 12mm socket to remove the cylinder off the backing plate, a 3/8 line wrench (you can get away with a regular open end wrench), and a second person to pump the brake pedal while you crack the bleeder.

easy peasy.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:57 PM

Year: 1999

I had a friend who had done this many times help me the first time. The job is not too complicated. You do want to have a manual. Also only do one side at a time so you have the other side to look at to figure out how to put it back together. They are mirror imaged

If you do not have one Morris 4x4 has a great knowledge base that may have a manual you could use.

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowled...ex.htm#service

Also search the web for a video on doing rear drum breaks. The job is very similar across most cars.

If the wheel cylinders are leaking then you want to do this before the break fluid gets on the shoes. Once it gets on the shoe the breaks will lock up on that side. Then you must replace the shoes.

I suggest that you splurge and get new shoes, new drums, new hardware kit. Plan on cleaning up the adjusters and lubing them up.

use you favorite rust fluid to get things loose. work slowly on the break line to get the fitting to turn and not twist up the line.

The tools are not too expensive. I have used mine many times, worth buying them. I also use the hand vacuum pump with a home made bleed kit. The pump has been useful for other projects.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:38 PM

Year: 89' soon to be
Engine: 4.0 HO 167k miles

Originally Posted by caged
or if everything goes well, it's 10 bux each for the wheel cylinders, a 12mm socket to remove the cylinder off the backing plate, a 3/8 line wrench (you can get away with a regular open end wrench), and a second person to pump the brake pedal while you crack the bleeder.

easy peasy.
That's it! Don't remove anything else...its not that bad. Good luck :-)
Old 12-30-2012, 06:17 AM

Thanks guys there is a lot of info here,sounds like a pretty lengthy project. I may pass on this one or I may just suck it up and give it a try. Thanks again you guys are the best!!