Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

wheel bearings DONE

Old 04-21-2008, 09:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO
Default wheel bearings DONE

Okay so I FINALLY got my new bearings. Well the front at least. In the front you replace the whole hub so its pretty easy, though I didnt torque anything to specs haha. Oh well. Anyway, the rear will get done by a shop with the proper tools. I also replaced the brakes at the same time and Im having some difficulty. The passenger side cailper popped the piston out when i was pressing hte brakes trying to get it to go out some, this shot the piston out as well as a ton of brake fluid. So I popped it back in and bled the system. When i first took it for a test ride i slammed on the brakes and the car jerked HARD left, so I rebled the front brakes twice, each time it good a little better. Though when i slam the brakes the only tire that locks up is the back left, so its getting hte most braking juice at least out of the the rears, maybe this is contributing to the leftward jerk... Im taking it to the brake shop tomorrow for a diagnosis, hopefully they can help me out because im pretty damn tired of this.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd strongly suggest you torque the hub nut to the proper value (175 Ft Lbs.) failure to do so can lead to failure of the unit bearing hub.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:44 PM
Seasoned Member

Probobly not a bad idea. How bad is it that I didnt torque my 3 hub bolts? I tightened them as far as they could go pretty much and that was using a 6 foot iron pole attatched to the ratchet as well as blue locktight. But I think Ill go ahead and torque those guys up.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:56 PM
CF Veteran

Trust me on this one...

Pull 'em back out and clean the loc-tite off!! Pull the hub and coat it generously with anti-seize and then re-install it. Coat the threads on the 13mm - 12 point bolts with anti-seize as well and re-install.

Nothing worse than being on a trail with a busted u-joint in the axle and no way to get the seized hub off.

Sounds like you probably overtightened the hub bolts too. Snug plus a little more is all it takes.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:33 AM
Seasoned Member

aight ill try that. After anti-siezeing the hub bolts how important is it to torque them? But I guess if im going to torque the axle nut i mine as well do the hub bolts... 75 and 175 ft lbs i thikn..
Old 04-22-2008, 06:37 AM
CF Veteran

The hub nut is whats keeping you hub from coming apart. Adequate clamping force is really imporant on the hubs. It comes from being sandwiched between the stub shaft and the hub nut.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

What's being said here is true. I've had my share of bearing replacements.....quite often. When i first got my jeep, i tightened those nuts so tight in fear they would come loose. My bearings went within a year and i replaced them again under warranty and then the same thing happened. I learned that torquing the bearing is very important and i did it the 3rd time around. The bearing lasted almost 3 years so it makes a big difference. Never use locktight on the rear 3 bearing bolts, only antisieze. You'll thank yourself later Heck put antisieze on EVERY bolt if possible.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)

Originally Posted by muddeprived
What's being said here is true. I've had my share of bearing replacements.....quite often. When i first got my jeep, i tightened those nuts so tight in fear they would come loose. My bearings went within a year and i replaced them again under warranty and then the same thing happened. I learned that torquing the bearing is very important and i did it the 3rd time around. The bearing lasted almost 3 years so it makes a big difference. Never use locktight on the rear 3 bearing bolts, only antisieze. You'll thank yourself later Heck put antisieze on EVERY bolt if possible.
I put it on every NEW bolt. Seems like all my bolts break even after soaking in PB Blaster for a week. HAHA So before I start I just buy new bolts.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:46 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by drakan1908
I put it on every NEW bolt. Seems like all my bolts break even after soaking in PB Blaster for a week. HAHA So before I start I just buy new bolts.
been there. Hate when it happens cuz i have to walk 1/2 mile to home depot. almost every bolt i removed on my tj broke. I haven't had a single broken bolt on the xj though cuz i've used my impact on everything.

harbor freight impact gun: $40 and worth every penny!
Old 04-22-2008, 12:11 PM
Seasoned Member

is that impact gun a air powered?
Old 04-22-2008, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: I-6 282

Originally Posted by dabeast727
is that impact gun a air powered?
most are air powered some are electric.

Originally Posted by dabeast727
Probobly not a bad idea. How bad is it that I didnt torque my 3 hub bolts? I tightened them as far as they could go pretty much and that was using a 6 foot iron pole attatched to the ratchet as well as blue locktight. But I think Ill go ahead and torque those guys up.
you need to re-torque them. starting by taking the bolts back out because 175ft/lbs is much less then "a 6 foot iron pole attached to the ratchet."

sounds like (to me) you may have over tightened them which will strip the blots, making them not "grab," this could also result in the assy. falling off or ruining the new hub.

remember, although the high payed people that designed jeep, may sometime seem like the dont know what they're doing; most times (such as torque specs.) they do. and i advise you fallow them, they are there for a reason.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:12 PM
CF Veteran

My impact is electric.

Last edited by muddeprived; 04-22-2008 at 02:16 PM.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:54 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

My impact is electric.
You like it? How well does it work?
Old 04-22-2008, 06:28 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Kyle Deidrick
You like it? How well does it work?
It's great. It a 240 ft lb gun. At first I was wishing I saved and got a Dewalt cuz my buddy has that one but after using it a bit, I gained confident in it and it hasn't let me down. I thought HF tools were cheap but nothing's cheap about this gun. It works and works everytime. Every nut that I can get the gun onto, gets impacted off. it saves so much time.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

It's great. It a 240 ft lb gun. At first I was wishing I saved and got a Dewalt cuz my buddy has that one but after using it a bit, I gained confident in it and it hasn't let me down. I thought HF tools were cheap but nothing's cheap about this gun. It works and works everytime. Every nut that I can get the gun onto, gets impacted off. it saves so much time.
Thanks, sorry to get OT but I have been considering getting one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: wheel bearings DONE