Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

What's wrong with this picture?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: '99
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Unhappy What's wrong with this picture?

Hey all. So I decided to look under my xj today, even though I took it to Aamco to have them "inspect" it a week ago. All they mentioned was that I had a rear seal leak. No biggie, they said. They didn't recommend anything for it because they were so focused on my PCM replacement. (Which is another story and you can read in my intro.) Since I'm noticing the leak adding up in my driveway, about an inch or so in the week, I decided to go down on her and found these.....

WARNING! Disclaimer:
Sorry if I didn't resize these pics. Please let me know how for future reference.

Do you see.....

...What I see?

These were all taken from the drivers side...

I have more pics but, First things first right? Clean her out with engine degreaser? Is that really a bolt missing in the first picture to the right in the shadow? And why on earth, does it look like someone crimped my exhaust intake like that? That can NOT be good! Why didn't Aamco tell me about that? Really? Really......
Old 10-09-2016, 10:06 PM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

the downpipe is dimpled like that from the factory

every xj.
Old 10-09-2016, 10:43 PM

The downpipe? Okay. Why did they do that? Will I have problems trying to upgrade the exhaust system ?
Old 10-10-2016, 09:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

The down pipe dent is factory. Nothing to worry about.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/dent-downpipe-23405/
Old 10-10-2016, 09:43 AM

Smile

Thank you for that link Jordan. Very helpful and helped answer alot of questions about it.
Old 10-10-2016, 12:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998

Old 10-10-2016, 01:15 PM

Year: 1994.5
Engine: Inline 6 4.0 HO

Ha, Jeepin'_Aint_EZ ! Don't we all wish...

On that subject, I wanted to offer OP another common bit of info that long-time ownership and mileage will provide ; you should see the approaching 400,000 original miles I have XJ and how grungy it gets with various oil leaks and accumulated grime.

I wanted to mention that as long as you keep oil and lubes in it you can keep her going but eventually you'll want to look for any rubber OEM mounts or bushings that have been soused in oil like your transmission and XFer case mounts in the image because over time and with extended heat exposure, the rubber deteriorates ; a transmission mounts/ xfer case mounts from Omix-Ada is cheap and easy to install. Coated in oil like that you may clean it up to find it is no longer supporting your xfer case as intended and you can get some funky issues. Check the durometer of the rubber after you degrease. Same with any other rubber stuff under there.
Old 10-10-2016, 01:46 PM

Talking ha, love that movie...don't know that guys face tho.

Thanks Jeepster, for that good bit of info. I was worried about the rubber mounts and sensors soaked in sludge down there and to take my time, and I did read about making sure it is lubed correctly after cleaning. BUT I do want to be very careful and knowledgable before making things worse when I do start cleaning. Quick question...what would be the first thing you would look for/change down there first? Should I ask this when I come back with a new pic after cleaning?
Old 10-10-2016, 03:37 PM

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts

Also looks like some trans fluid leaking there. I see red at the back of the pan on the bolts holding it up. I had that and it turned out to be the front seal on the transmission. That will cause trans fluid to leak out the front and mix with oil leaking from the rear main (or other places) and come out the "drain" at the bottom of the bellhousing where the engine and trans meet.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:44 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by 99xjem
Thanks Jeepster, for that good bit of info. I was worried about the rubber mounts and sensors soaked in sludge down there and to take my time, and I did read about making sure it is lubed correctly after cleaning. BUT I do want to be very careful and knowledgable before making things worse when I do start cleaning. Quick question...what would be the first thing you would look for/change down there first? Should I ask this when I come back with a new pic after cleaning?
Just do this:

http://cruiser54.com/?p=96
Old 10-10-2016, 10:57 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by dzywicki
Also looks like some trans fluid leaking there. I see red at the back of the pan on the bolts holding it up. I had that and it turned out to be the front seal on the transmission. That will cause trans fluid to leak out the front and mix with oil leaking from the rear main (or other places) and come out the "drain" at the bottom of the bellhousing where the engine and trans meet.
Thanks for that info as well dzywicki, yeah I noticed the trans fluid as well down there. What did you do to stop yours from leaking out the front? So, your saying that is the drain, where I think a bolt is missing on the bell housing? Correct?

.....And nice write up there cruiser54! Will read more as I learn! Thank you...

Last edited by 99xjem; 10-10-2016 at 11:00 PM.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:16 PM

Can anyone tell me what would be the best way to go about cleaning that part of the electrical covered in sludge. It looks to me copper wire is exposed to the sludge right there as well. You see it? A little above and right of the Trans fluid leak. I'm not sure I wanna spray or even wipe that thing.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998

Just get a heavy duty full strength degreaser and soft brush and get to work
Old 10-13-2016, 08:24 PM

Question

I read ya' loud and clear man. [= Will do! First I wanna try and figure out this bog down issue! Ok....anyone please. Is this a "drain plug" too? I dont think so, but hey, what do I know? I will though once someone informs me, kindly please? Looks like a bolt a missing? Could this be my "vac" leak?

Old 10-13-2016, 08:26 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Not a vacuum leak.

Know how to find one?

Quick Reply: What's wrong with this picture?