Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

What would you do- fix or give up?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default What would you do- fix or give up?

Jeep had been acting up so I fixed what I knew was wrong (throttle body stuff), and took it in to have the other stuff diagnosed. It's a 1992 automatic that just hit 193,000 miles.

The shop called and said the control arm bushings are shot (upper and lower, front), the CV shaft (both) is shot, and there's a leak in the master cylinder. Quoted me at $2,200. I bought the damn thing for $1,000 in February.

Already found another mechanic that'll fix it all for half that, but still... $1,100 is a lot.

It seems like doing the control arms are simple enough, don't know about the CV shafts, and they said "don't try to do the MC on your own".

So, what do you think? The brakes are good, so far I've thrown on a new power steering line, redone the throttle body, new air filter, got the radiator flushed, and replaced a bunch of hoses. But it seems like every time I fix something, something else pops up.

Yes, I know, that's what I get for driving a used '92. But at this point, what would you do? Chuck it or fix it?
Old 06-07-2017, 03:36 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

We don't know your skillset.....
Old 06-07-2017, 03:42 PM

That's fair. I know I can do some of the stuff on my own (control arms, and I think the CV) but I'm curious- would YOU fix this stuff, or scrap the jeep?
Old 06-07-2017, 03:57 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L non 0331 head

Fix. There will never be another vehicle like the xj made ever again.
Old 06-07-2017, 03:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Depends on its overall condition. 193,000 aint nothing.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by freegdr
Depends on its overall condition. 193,000 aint nothing.
No kidding. That's why I'm inclined to fix and fix it on my own, but the shop has scared me into the whole "you can't even drive it or the brakes could totally fail!!" thing because the master cylinder.

Any experience with that CV business? Easy enough DIY or should I leave that to a shop?
Old 06-07-2017, 04:22 PM

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts

If you plan to keep it and drive it a lot, I would highly recommend learning to fix it. You can start with a Haynes and progress to a FSM (field service manual). The XJs are a blast to drive and run offroad, but they are also old cars. I have rebuilt 2 XJs and most jobs can be done with a good set of sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers a break bar (for all of the 20+ year old bolts that have been in place).
the suspension work isn't too bad except for the bushing on the front axle for the upper control arms. Those are a pain. The rest of the front is pretty straight forward. When I am getting ready to tackle something new to me, I generally look all the parts over and make a step by step on what's needed. For the front suspension it's along the lines of:

Put front on jack stands under the body
Remove front wheel
Remove front shocks
Disconnect/remove sway bar
Remove front springs
Remove lower control arm
Remove upper control arm
Figure out easiest way to replace the bushings in the axle for the upper control arms
Replace control arm bushings or replace entire control arm whihc includes bushing

reassemble

While you are there, you may want to also replace ball joints if they were never replaced. Same for other front end components: tie rod ends, steering stabilizer, shocks etc.

If you don't have a decent set of tools, this is the chance to invest for the next project vs. giving it to a mechanic.

Any XJ is worth it to replace suspension parts. they don't last forever and once you do it, you should be good for another 10+ years of driving.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:25 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by dzywicki
If you plan to keep it and drive it a lot, I would highly recommend learning to fix it. You can start with a Haynes and progress to a FSM (field service manual). The XJs are a blast to drive and run offroad, but they are also old cars. I have rebuilt 2 XJs and most jobs can be done with a good set of sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers a break bar (for all of the 20+ year old bolts that have been in place).
the suspension work isn't too bad except for the bushing on the front axle for the upper control arms. Those are a pain. The rest of the front is pretty straight forward. When I am getting ready to tackle something new to me, I generally look all the parts over and make a step by step on what's needed. For the front suspension it's along the lines of:

Put front on jack stands under the body
Remove front wheel
Remove front shocks
Disconnect/remove sway bar
Remove front springs
Remove lower control arm
Remove upper control arm
Figure out easiest way to replace the bushings in the axle for the upper control arms
Replace control arm bushings or replace entire control arm whihc includes bushing

reassemble

While you are there, you may want to also replace ball joints if they were never replaced. Same for other front end components: tie rod ends, steering stabilizer, shocks etc.

If you don't have a decent set of tools, this is the chance to invest for the next project vs. giving it to a mechanic.

Any XJ is worth it to replace suspension parts. they don't last forever and once you do it, you should be good for another 10+ years of driving.
Most of these repairs can be found on you tube also..
Old 06-07-2017, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by freegdr
Most of these repairs can be found on you tube also..
No point in just doing the bushings, right? What I've read so far has said to just do the whole arm. Way less work, only slightly more expensive.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:38 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by memsiej
No point in just doing the bushings, right? What I've read so far has said to just do the whole arm. Way less work, only slightly more expensive.
Exactly couple extra buck but labor saver big time.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:40 PM
CF Veteran

Quick search...http://www.ebay.com/itm/Control-Arm-...=mtr#vi-ilComp
Old 06-07-2017, 04:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

I would fix it and keep going. BUT.... This better be a second vehicle. Many of these repairs will likely take you longer than an afternoon due to your experience level. The joy of ownership soon goes away when you have to bum a ride to work.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:46 PM

It's not a second vehicle, but the good news is that I share an apartment with a coworker so the option to bum a ride is there. I'll just need to find a weekend to do the repairs.