Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

What us a good 4.5" lift set up for a 98 sport dd?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default What is a good 4.5" lift set up for a 98 sport dd?

I just purchased a 98 sport a few weeks ago and everything is stock. How much will I have to spend to get a decent 4.5" lift for a dd? And what would a good set up be? I have around $1000 to spend.

Last edited by Rbai76; 07-21-2011 at 07:58 AM.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is one of those questions that new members get a lot of flack about. There is just too many options to encourage a direction for you; not to mention MANY have asked this in the past. What you need to do is spend a couple hours reading on here. Search! You'll come understand certain truths about lifting an XJ and be more qualified to purchase/install the lift that works for you. It's the difference between giving one a fish or teaching them how to fish. GL.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:44 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by s14unimog
This is one of those questions that new members get a lot of flack about. There is just too many options to encourage a direction for you; not to mention MANY have asked this in the past. What you need to do is spend a couple hours reading on here. Search! You'll come understand certain truths about lifting an XJ and be more qualified to purchase/install the lift that works for you. It's the difference between giving one a fish or teaching them how to fish. GL.
Well i can see why so many ask noob questions because this sites search function loves to give this result for everything
"Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms." Hint to the OP google will net you better results than this sites search function.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by MuscleHead
Well i can see why so many ask noob questions because this sites search function loves to give this result for everything
"Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms." Hint to the OP google will net you better results than this sites search function.
I kinda agree with this. Searching on forums can be frustrating sometimes but it just takes time.

If you could give us a little more info on what you want to do with the lift we could probably give you an answer.

I would say save a little extra money and go with this. http://claytonoffroad.com/product_in...roducts_id/333

Matt
Old 07-21-2011, 10:23 AM

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by Fornstar
I kinda agree with this. Searching on forums can be frustrating sometimes but it just takes time.

If you could give us a little more info on what you want to do with the lift we could probably give you an answer.

I would say save a little extra money and go with this. http://claytonoffroad.com/product_in...roducts_id/333

Matt
Holy crap thats alot of money for a basic kit, doesn't even come with shocks. Looks like quality parts though but will lighten the wallet quick.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:50 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Holy crap thats alot of money for a basic kit, doesn't even come with shocks. Looks like quality parts though but will lighten the wallet quick.
Yeah, I was suprised at the price as well! Op stated he only had a grand to spend this kit is well over that without even having shocks included.

Sent from my DROIDX using Cherokee Forum
Old 07-21-2011, 11:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by SnakeEyes814
Yeah, I was suprised at the price as well! Op stated he only had a grand to spend this kit is well over that without even having shocks included.

Sent from my DROIDX using Cherokee Forum
Kit would probably cost more than the cost of the Jeep .
Do some research on Rough Country.

GL
Old 07-21-2011, 11:06 AM
Registered Users

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fornstar
Your best bet is to click search, then advanced search, then underneath the keywords box there is a drop down box click search titles only. I agree with you that the search function isn't the best in the world but this may help you yield better results.

To the OP Rough Country or Rusty's are going to be two good companies that are in your price range. Do some research on RC and see if thats what you want. If it is send Grimus99XJ a pm. He is the vendor for RC on this forum and he is very good about hooking us up with discounts, and is also very knowledgeable.

Last edited by jmm0122; 07-21-2011 at 11:09 AM.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:15 AM

If you go with RC stay way from their control arms. Their flex joints wear out really fast, unless they have fixed the problem. I have heard great things about their CS and when they do wear out they send out new ones extremely fast. There is a long thread on another board about this. Yes the Clayton does cost more but from reviews its well worth it.

At 4.5" you are going to need a SYE more than likely, so go ahead and budget that.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 I6 firepower ignition, cat-back w/ magnaflow muffler, poweraid tb spacer, optima blue top

It is a good bit more but i would go with a long arm. I have a 4.5" short arm kit and really wish for a better ride since it is my dd. Although the RC lift might be different, I run a R.E lift.