Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

what size ring gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default what size ring gear

hello, looking to replace the whole rear end on my '96 Cherokee, 4.0 with 103,000 miles. Runs great, but when coming to a stop I can feel a "thump" in the rear as if it was setting down on the shocks or something. Have replaced the shocks, brakes, spider gears, carrier bearings, axle bearings and u-joints, but still feel that slight jolt. I've got the Dana 35 rear with 3,55 ratio, but how can I tell if I have the 7.25 or 8.25 ting gear? Thanks for any help! jervin
Old 01-10-2017, 10:07 PM
IJM
CF Veteran

Received 274 Likes on 205 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Greased your slip yoke recently?
Old 01-10-2017, 10:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1994

If I'm not mistaken the dana 35 only came one size ring gear which is 7.5 inches (some places say 7.62)

The chrysler 8.25 has the larger ring gear.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:49 PM

Thanks guys, I have confirmed now that Dana 35 rears do indeed all have 7.50 (or sometimes referred to as 7.58) ring gears. Thanks LACK. Also, IJM, to make sure, just where is the slip yoke? I'm just a small shade tree mechanic. About two years ago when in for service I told the mechanic to grease the slip yoke, but didn't look to see where it was. during winter I frequently flush the underside (Michigan salted roads) so maybe I washed the grease off. Thanks so much. jervin
Old 01-11-2017, 11:55 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by jervin
Thanks guys, I have confirmed now that Dana 35 rears do indeed all have 7.50 (or sometimes referred to as 7.58) ring gears. Thanks LACK. Also, IJM, to make sure, just where is the slip yoke? I'm just a small shade tree mechanic. About two years ago when in for service I told the mechanic to grease the slip yoke, but didn't look to see where it was. during winter I frequently flush the underside (Michigan salted roads) so maybe I washed the grease off. Thanks so much. jervin
Slip yolk is part of your drive shaft coming out of the transfer case going to the rear axle. There should be a grease fitting on it.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:55 PM

Default wat size ring gear

Thanks LACK. I have now confirmed that the Dana 35 rear end all came with the 7.50 ring gear. IJM, about two years ago I did ask the mechanic while in for service to grease the slip yoke, but I didn't watch him do it so I don't know just where the slip yoke is (I'm just a small shade tree mechanic). Is there a grease fitting or do you just smear grease on wherever it is? During winters I frequently flush the underside (Michigan salted roads) so maybe I washed the grease off. Thanks, for any help you can give me. jervin
Old 01-12-2017, 12:06 AM
CF Veteran

There may not be a fitting, I can't recall. If not you'll have to pull the rear drive shaft enough to slide the slip yolk back. Grease it and slide it back together.

Take a look at this video

Old 01-12-2017, 12:44 PM
IJM
CF Veteran

Received 274 Likes on 205 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by jervin
Thanks LACK. I have now confirmed that the Dana 35 rear end all came with the 7.50 ring gear. IJM, about two years ago I did ask the mechanic while in for service to grease the slip yoke, but I didn't watch him do it so I don't know just where the slip yoke is (I'm just a small shade tree mechanic). Is there a grease fitting or do you just smear grease on wherever it is? During winters I frequently flush the underside (Michigan salted roads) so maybe I washed the grease off. Thanks, for any help you can give me. jervin
The slip yoke is right where the rear driveshaft connects to the transfer case output shaft. You'll see a black rubber bellows that covers the slip join and keeps is clean and dry. You'll need to pull off the two clamps, remove the four bolts that attach the driveshaft to the rear differential yoke at the rear, and remove the driveshaft. That'll give you good access to slather grease on the slip joint before putting it back together. This solved my clunking issue whenever I braked hard for a stop light and started off again.

This is how it works in the '97+ Cherokees. I seem to recall that perhaps the earlier ones are lubricated differently.