Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

What more tools am I gonna need to install my gears?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 06:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6 w/ K&N and bored TB
Default What more tools am I gonna need to install my gears?

So i've been reading alot back and forth about installing gears. I've never done anything quite that complicated before but im going to be going to school for automotive so I'd feel like an idiot paying someone else to do it for me. I could devote a couple days to it if I really needed to, so I think ill give it a try. Just wondering about tools i'll need.

Stuff I already got:

Basics like wrenches and stuff
Couple Torque Wrench's (Do I need one of those rolling torque ones?)
Dial Indicator
Carrier bearing puller
Some 2-3 jaw pullers

Do I need?

Press (I have a good ball joint press but I dont think there is enough attachments to do some of this stuff, you dont really need a hydraulic press do you? If not what do you use to press all these bearings on?)
More pullers (Can you pull the pinion bearing off with a 3 jaw?)
Housing spreader (i've heard some jig rigged ways to get around using one, will it still come out decent if I dont? They have them on ebay for like 180 bucks so i'm leaning toward just getting one.)
Anything else I missed?

If it helps i'm doing a D30/8.25
Old 07-04-2010, 08:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 87
Engine: 4.0

you wil need a 12 ton or larger press to put the bearings on the carrier and pinion. and to pul them off, Put you will also need a bearing seperator, as well as setup bearings. If you have to ask us what you need.. your teacher must not be worth a pinch of puppy poo, cause any teacher would have told you that
Old 07-04-2010, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001/1996

To do a proper gear install you should definatley have a decent dial type in/lb torque wrench. Looks like you've already got a dial indicator which is a plus. As far as using a press to put bearings on, yes it is the proper way to do it. Can it be done otherwise? Yes, if you are careful and experienced. You can heat the bearing and it will drop right on, BUT DON'T overheat it! You can tap the bearing on with a flat punch, BUT WEAR SAFETY GLASSES & be damn careful because chips can and will fly!

As far as pulling the pinion bearing don't even bother removing the old one from the old pinion. If you're not putting new bearings in with new gears don't even bother pulling the cover off and starting the job. Bearings are inexpensive compared to the job as a whole.

I've never used a real housing spreader just made my own. Use your best judgement there.

One tool you don't have listed is a service manual. This should be the first thing on the bench. In my years of wrenching (close to 30) I've worked with a lot of mechanics, the good ones always have the manual handy.

Good luck!
Jim
Old 07-05-2010, 12:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

anybody can throw gears in a housing.
but it's the first 500 miles that's gonna tell the truth.

good luck. post pics.