Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

what is metal rod that holds the a/c vent door attached to under the steering wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default what is metal rod that holds the a/c vent door attached to under the steering wheel?

It goes into a little metal/brass sealed cup. I disconnected it from the right side cable that also opens and closes something else inside the heater core? I'm attempting to move my thermostat controls to the lowest point in my center console. maybe its called an actuator lever? can i cut it out? or do i need to be able to adjust it? thanks (also the image int correct. this is for an mj or its the wrong year. mine is a 94 and rod and cups do not make a 90 degree turn)
Old 08-11-2018, 10:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 481 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

That vacuum motor you have there controls the heat/defrost flap. If you get rid of that, you will have only defrost. The cable that goes to the right side is the temp control flap. Get rid of that and you will not be able to select the temperature
Old 08-11-2018, 11:13 PM

I don't mind only having defrost. at least there is heat. (and I'm hoping I don't ruin my thermostat and overheat my engine? or not be able to get A/C (thoughts?) I'm installing a double din in my xj and have seen photos of it done but no write up so I'm winging it. as for the cable (the one on the passenger side?) that rotation controls what flap? I can still move it manually and don't mind doing that for the future. I'm going heavy duty with the electrical with switch panels and a second battery so perhaps a second heater will be an option down the road. I have fitted my thermostat controls into the lower space already so there's no turning back at this point. thanks for the info and if you have any advice.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:27 PM

Hey sorry to bother you but I would like to clean this mess up tomorrow If I can. I have not removed the bar justed disconnected it from the right side and when I slide my controls left to right I have AC and I have defrost. I think I understand the temp flap on the right-hand side. but do you know if I need to be manually adjusting the left side to be getting more or less of something?
Old 08-16-2018, 10:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l

hmm must be different because the vacuum pump part for my jeep controls the vent for inside and outside air
Old 08-16-2018, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by EEVEE
hmm must be different because the vacuum pump part for my jeep controls the vent for inside and outside air
that photo is not mine but an example. mine does not look like that. ( have a 94 XJ)
I can hear the rod twist when I slide the ****.