Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

What engine mount

Old 05-06-2015, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default What engine mount

So I was looking over my EGR valve and I noticed I don't have much of a motor mount left on the drivers side. Only god knows how long it's been like that as I have never replaced or even looked at it for very long.

I'm afraid you'd all laugh if I posted a pic of it but that brings me to my question.

Is there an upgrade type motor mount available that don't loosen teeth fillings when the Jeep is running?

I'm not needing an extreme type mount, just a direct bolt on type.

Thanks.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Brown dog offroad makes two style motor mounts,Polyurethane and ultra flex rubber.The rubber ones should be softer and the polyurethane will be the stiffer rougher ones.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995

Originally Posted by 88Dutchman
So I was looking over my EGR valve and I noticed I don't have much of a motor mount left on the drivers side. Only god knows how long it's been like that as I have never replaced or even looked at it for very long.

I'm afraid you'd all laugh if I posted a pic of it but that brings me to my question.

Is there an upgrade type motor mount available that don't loosen teeth fillings when the Jeep is running?"

Thanks.
Stock mounts are best. The upgrade mounts are really beefy but poly mounts will rattle your teeth out. Not much reason to upgrade the mounts unless you are hard core wheeling.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:51 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,521 Likes on 1,234 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Is there an upgrade type motor mount available that don't loosen teeth fillings when the Jeep is running?

Thanks.
Post up a pic or two. I wanna point and laugh!!
Old 05-07-2015, 08:21 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Brown Dog, Iron Man, Rusty's Offroad and M.O.R.E all offer pretty much bulletproof mounts. You won't lose any fillings if they're installed correctly, but they still won't feel exactly like stock. They're all considered pretty extreme.

What makes the stock mounts tamer than those others is that the rubber is softer, which is also what leads to its eventual failure. So if your goal is to replace the motor mounts once and for all and never have to worry about it again, you might as well just go with Brown Dog ultra flex rubber. Be sure to check to see if they're still offering the 10% forum discount.

Maybe someone knows of a "stock plus" mount that is somewhere in between, but I kind of doubt there's a big market for that considered how good the Brown Dog mounts are.

If your motor mounts are that bad, you might want to check your transmission mount as well. It's probably long since collapsed. You're supposed to loosen the transmission mount anyway when you swap the motor mounts (some people don't), so you might as well swap it while you're under there. Just use the OEM style for that. The only aftermarket is the Daystar poly mount, and it doesn't really give you any advantage over stock.

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
Brown dog offroad makes two style motor mounts,Polyurethane and ultra flex rubber.The rubber ones should be softer and the polyurethane will be the stiffer rougher ones.
I have the rubber Brown Dog mounts. It's not the normal rubber you would expect in an engine mount. It's a LOT stiffer.
Old 05-08-2015, 01:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

JMHO but in your case an OEM set from NAPA may serve you well for what your after.
Old 05-08-2015, 02:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by Cheddarnut
Stock mounts are best. The upgrade mounts are really beefy but poly mounts will rattle your teeth out. Not much reason to upgrade the mounts unless you are hard core wheeling.
I agree, I have rubber Brown Dogs. Have had them for two months and they still rattle my dash pretty good at stop lights. Don't get me wrong, GREAT product if you are going to beat your XJ up a little but for everyday use and no real off road, go stock. I am switching back to stock and will probably be posting my rubber brown dogs in the sell forum here soon.
Old 05-10-2015, 12:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 99 94
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: I6

If you are a stocker get oe mounts. Brown dogs made my jeep rattle and buzz. With the ac on it felt like a massage chair.