Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Wet passenger floorboard 1991 Cherokee.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Wet passenger floorboard 1991 Cherokee.

I have owned this '91 Cherokee Laredo for a couple years now and hit a deer several months ago and the passenger side bared the brunt of the damage. We have had so much rain I have not washed it since the repairs. This weekend when I pulled out my rubber floor mats the carpet was soaked. Its been going on a while I am guessing since the floor mat had black mold/mildew on it. It never did this before the wreck. I am trying to compile a checklist of places to check since this problem did not start until after the accident. The underside is pristine and rust free and a new windshield was installed a year ago. I have ruled that out as a possibility, but I could be wrong. I did notice that there is a small gap between the fenderflare the wheelwell I guess water could be getting behind it and found an entry point there? Anyway, thank for any tips and advice!
Old 03-17-2019, 05:23 PM

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts

I have been chasing a leak into my passenger side on my '99 for a couple of months now. I did a lot of searching and there were two primary places that I checked. the first was around the air intake under the cowl. You can't get to it unless you cut into the metal cowl. Luckily that wasn't my problem. There are a lot of threads on it. I finally figured out it was leaking in around the blower motor seal on the firewall. It's a foam seal that just stops working. Here is the thread I made. https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/98-...-motor-247263/
My first attempt did not work. I ended up using some waterproof tape and put several layers to essentially make a shield on top of the engine compartment over the blower motor. It is ugly, but it works. I'll take a pic of what I ended up doing so you can see it in all it's ugly glory. The waterprrof sealing tape I found at HomeDepot has proven to be super useful on other projects.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:34 PM

Thanks for the reply!
Old 03-17-2019, 05:35 PM

I remember my cowl had a little damage. They were able to repair it. That could be a cause I guess. I hit the deer going 60!

Originally Posted by dzywicki
I have been chasing a leak into my passenger side on my '99 for a couple of months now. I did a lot of searching and there were two primary places that I checked. the first was around the air intake under the cowl. You can't get to it unless you cut into the metal cowl. Luckily that wasn't my problem. There are a lot of threads on it. I finally figured out it was leaking in around the blower motor seal on the firewall. It's a foam seal that just stops working. Here is the thread I made. https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/98-...-motor-247263/
My first attempt did not work. I ended up using some waterproof tape and put several layers to essentially make a shield on top of the engine compartment over the blower motor. It is ugly, but it works. I'll take a pic of what I ended up doing so you can see it in all it's ugly glory. The waterprrof sealing tape I found at HomeDepot has proven to be super useful on other projects.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

I cut in and tried a cowl leak repair on my 90. Waste of time! " A gap between the fenderflare the wheelwell I guess water could be getting in". There and maybe the gasket between the heater blower and firewall where the actual culprit. I used cheap latex sealant that didn't "freak out" over some moisture, problem solved.

I made a big mistake there. Running a hose on slow to find the leak, I didn't give it enough time to start dripping. Had I waited long enough, Maybe an hr?), I would have found that it leaked below the cowl and windshield.

Last edited by DFlintstone; 03-17-2019 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:07 PM

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts

I snapped a pic of my ghetto solution. I tried some waterproof sealant and some of the waterproof tape over the sealant. didn't work. then tried to make a damn form some plastic. didn't work. Went with this and it has been working well for several weeks through some heavy rains. Sadly, to replace that foam seal is take the entire dash out job. I'm not doing that unless I absolutely have to.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

I did a very precise and clean job, cutting it up for no good reason! >> https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/90-...estion-156014/
Old 03-17-2019, 06:36 PM

Thanks for the info!
Old 03-20-2019, 02:42 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 6cyl.
Default what about

what about your heater core ? Mine had a leak and it rotted out my pass. floorboard. that is normally the issue.