Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Went Offroading up a mountain in a foot of snow, wont start, please help me, i dont k

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Went Offroading up a mountain in a foot of snow, wont start, please help me, i dont k

i went offroading up a mountain trail in a foot of snow trying to get up a trail i have not had problems getting up before, but this time there was a lot of snow, i gave it and gave it a few tries, almost got stuck into a ditch.

got home fine no issues at all, never had any issues starting it, it's always started just great, no waining at all ever, has always started perfect.

next morning it didnt start at all, no power at all.

stupidity i thought i left the lights on and it was just the battery. i dont have a voltmeter but i have a battery charger. I put the charger onto the clamps(clamps attached to the cables that clamp onto the battery terminals) and ZERO charge registers on the charger. I took the clamps off and put the charger on the battery terminals and it said it was FULLY CHARGED. So it's not the battery. Then i thought maybe the battery clamps and cables need a cleaning. I did a terrible job cleaning them as i didnt know what i was doing, so that still might be the issue, but now that i think about it, i dont think so

I think the most likely thing is that i knocked something out of place when i was offroading, like a Ground wire or something? i have looked around a bit and havent seen anything out of place, but something might be loose?

im dumb and not great with cars and dont know whats what under the hood, so i dont really know what im looking at.

any ideas?

thank you so much for any help and input, its not a great time of year to have a dead jeep, cause its so much fun to play with in the snow!
Old 01-18-2016, 11:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by NoobUpInCanada
i went offroading up a mountain trail in a foot of snow trying to get up a trail i have not had problems getting up before, but this time there was a lot of snow, i gave it and gave it a few tries, almost got stuck into a ditch. got home fine no issues at all, never had any issues starting it, it's always started just great, no waining at all ever, has always started perfect. next morning it didnt start at all, no power at all. stupidity i thought i left the lights on and it was just the battery. i dont have a voltmeter but i have a battery charger. I put the charger onto the clamps(clamps attached to the cables that clamp onto the battery terminals) and ZERO charge registers on the charger. I took the clamps off and put the charger on the battery terminals and it said it was FULLY CHARGED. So it's not the battery. Then i thought maybe the battery clamps and cables need a cleaning. I did a terrible job cleaning them as i didnt know what i was doing, so that still might be the issue, but now that i think about it, i dont think so I think the most likely thing is that i knocked something out of place when i was offroading, like a Ground wire or something? i have looked around a bit and havent seen anything out of place, but something might be loose? im dumb and not great with cars and dont know whats what under the hood, so i dont really know what im looking at. any ideas? thank you so much for any help and input, its not a great time of year to have a dead jeep, cause its so much fun to play with in the snow!
does it crank and not start or does it just do nothing when you turn the key? Also, when you turn the key, is there any power such as gauges and radio, etc. if so it sounds like a battery or grounding issue. There is a ground from the battery to the fender. Another one on the side of the block just below the distributor/coil pack. And another at the back side of the valve cover going to the firewall.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

If you have lights, horn, etc but no crank, start by checking the starter solenoid, located of top of the starter, and make sure all connections are clean and tight.

Disconnect the negative cable from the battery first.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l 310,000 miles

I believe you have not fully checked out your battery. Take it to Autozone or whatever and have them put this battery under a load. I suspect it may have bad cell, which can read fully charged on a battery charger but still not take a load.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Likely water in the NSS.

Try putting it in Neutral and starting it.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

my bet is water somewhere where it shouldn't be (something may have collected snow, which soaked whatever it was covering when it melted).

check the battery voltage at the battery, and at the starter (starter positive to engine ground). if you have voltage there, then the battery terminals and cable should be good.

No power at all makes me think it is the fuse box in the engine bay, or the battery cables.

Turn on the headlights and connect the positive battery terminal to the battery and see if you can see any sparks (to see if the fuse box is drawing power like it should).
Old 01-18-2016, 10:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

"Turn on the headlights and connect the positive battery terminal to the battery and see if you can see any sparks..."

See if you can cause a hydrogen explosion by doing this on a battery with a weak cell that is outgassing.