Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

weird noise coming from front end

Old 11-06-2012, 05:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Default weird noise coming from front end

So for the past two weeks I have had this noise coming from the front end i believe. It is sorta like a rotating grinding noise, thats the best i could describe it. The floor also vibrates on the driver side and the pedals too. I went under and checked the wheels and such and nothing seems out of the ordinary.Pulled the front DS today and the noise is still there, anyone have any ideas to what it could be?
Old 11-06-2012, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 242 4.0L

Have had the same problem since last winter, I still haven't figured out what it is, I've replaced u joints, sway bar bushings and checked for binding all over the front end and found nothing
Old 11-06-2012, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Lfwnnr
Have had the same problem since last winter, I still haven't figured out what it is, I've replaced u joints, sway bar bushings and checked for binding all over the front end and found nothing
Im just worried by driving it, i might cause more damage. If i knew it was nothing bad i wouldnt care as much. Anything bad come of yours or is it just an annoying noise?
Old 11-07-2012, 01:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

If it's bad enough to vibrate the Jeep, I'd find the source before driving much more.
Jack the front off the ground, spin the tires and see if you can find it. Brakes, hubs, u-joints, front diff.....
Old 11-07-2012, 03:28 AM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

Wheel bearings?
Old 11-07-2012, 04:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Sounds like its allready bad to me but hubs is where id be looking.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:38 PM

Is it possible everything on the font end just needs a good greasing?
Old 11-07-2012, 05:24 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Does this start at any particular speed? Or as soon as you start moving? If it only occurs above a certain speed I'd start thinking about tire balance involvement, could aggravate marginal bearings. If any speed I'd suspect bears and the diff's gears. Brakes are also a factor.

Try this:

- Chock the rear wheels, and get the front axle on jack stands so the tires are off the ground.
- Grab the tires at 12:00 and 6:00 and give them a good shake. Movement other than in the radius of normal steering, or in-and-out from the vehicle is abnormal and indicates toast bearings (though your ball joints might be bad too)
- Spin everything by hand, listen for noises, and feel for any grinding. You might want to get a friend to help, say to spin a wheel while you listen to the differential. Also keep an eye and ear on the U-joints in the front axle itself.
- Pop off the front wheels, remove and inspect the brake calipers, pads, and rotors. Check for damage or unusual wear like warping, uneven wear, metal-on-metal, rusted brake contact surfaces.
- If you've never changed the front differential fluid before, now's the time. You'll need some sort of gasket (RTV, paper + RTV, or silicone lube locker type) and 2 bottles of 75w90 API GL-4/5 gear oil. Pop the cover off with the bottom bolts first - leave the topmost in, but loose - and let it drain into a pan. Check what comes out for bits of metal and water. If it looks sparkly or like a milkshake there's the issue. Water isn't really a HUGE deal if caught early. The breather hose on top can rot away (or be eaten by critters) and water can enter easily. Same for axle seals if you take it through puddles up to the hubs. Metal filings indicate wear.
- Once drained, remove the differential cover completely and clean that thing out with non-chlorinated brake cleaner, then take a peek at the gears and look for chipped teeth, etc. Same goes in here, give things a wiggle, check for any odd movement or grinding.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by salad
Does this start at any particular speed? Or as soon as you start moving? If it only occurs above a certain speed I'd start thinking about tire balance involvement, could aggravate marginal bearings. If any speed I'd suspect bears and the diff's gears. Brakes are also a factor.

Try this:

- Chock the rear wheels, and get the front axle on jack stands so the tires are off the ground.
- Grab the tires at 12:00 and 6:00 and give them a good shake. Movement other than in the radius of normal steering, or in-and-out from the vehicle is abnormal and indicates toast bearings (though your ball joints might be bad too)
- Spin everything by hand, listen for noises, and feel for any grinding. You might want to get a friend to help, say to spin a wheel while you listen to the differential. Also keep an eye and ear on the U-joints in the front axle itself.
- Pop off the front wheels, remove and inspect the brake calipers, pads, and rotors. Check for damage or unusual wear like warping, uneven wear, metal-on-metal, rusted brake contact surfaces.
- If you've never changed the front differential fluid before, now's the time. You'll need some sort of gasket (RTV, paper + RTV, or silicone lube locker type) and 2 bottles of 75w90 API GL-4/5 gear oil. Pop the cover off with the bottom bolts first - leave the topmost in, but loose - and let it drain into a pan. Check what comes out for bits of metal and water. If it looks sparkly or like a milkshake there's the issue.
- Once drained, remove the differential cover completely and clean that thing out with non-chlorinated brake cleaner, then take a peek at the gears and look for chipped teeth, etc. Same goes in here, give things a wiggle, check for any odd movement or grinding.
From what i can tell, the gas peddle vibrates as soon as i give i gas. But the noise and grinding sound doesnt start till about 35 to 40
Old 11-08-2012, 10:37 AM

just jacked the front end up and shook the tires, solid as a rock. spun them too and no noise. and everything looks pretty good as well. what now?
Old 11-14-2012, 09:29 PM

So after reading around, im coming to the conclusion i have bad wheel bearings. Gonna take the plunge on some new timken hubs and bearings soon and get those put on. Hopefully that's the problem
Old 11-14-2012, 10:17 PM

Year: 1998

gas pedal movement, take a look at youre motormounts drivers side especially
Old 11-15-2012, 11:31 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L IL-6

I'm having the same problem and I'm suspecting wheel bearing. I have tested everything else but the 12/6 wheel test gave me no play. It's gotten worse since though and gets louder whenever I take left turns.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:24 PM

i have very little, to no play too, but from reading up on bad bearings and what they sound like and all it has gotta be them. im buying some tomken full hubs for both wheels tonight hopefully, and getting them on next week if they arrive in time.
The following users liked this post:
Savio (08-29-2019)
Old 08-29-2019, 10:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Hey brother did ever find out the culprit to your front end noise?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: weird noise coming from front end