Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Weird Brake Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 96
Model: Cherokee
Default Weird Brake Issue

I have an interesting brake problem. I drove one night for around an hour and the brakes worked fine. Got up the next morning and the brake pedal was very soft and would brake a little but the pedal went almost all the way to the floor and the stopping power was much less than normal. The brake light is on, but there is not any obvious leaks anywhere (that I can find) and the fluid level is ok. It might have been a TINY bit less than totally full, but the fluid looked pretty dark. Could there be a really slow leak somewhere? Also no ABS.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by mickneel; 01-27-2017 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:20 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by mickneel
I have an interesting brake problem. I drove one night for around an hour and the brakes worked fine. Got up the next morning and the brake pedal was very soft and would brake a little but the pedal went almost all the way to the floor and the stopping power was much less than normal. The brake light is on, but there is not any obvious leaks anywhere (that I can find) and the fluid level is ok. It might have been a TINY bit less than totally full, but the fluid looked pretty dark. Could there be a really slow leak somewhere? Also no ABS.
Thanks in advance.
rear brakes ,,every time i have a pedal go to floor on ANY car its rear brakes. my 2000 had rusted line from master cyl to rear axel .replaced and bled,at the conection on rear axel. solid pedal.
look close for small leak that empties the line

i replaced all from master to rear axel. i have no abs,,,,

Last edited by nujeepguy; 01-27-2017 at 10:02 PM.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:35 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Thanks in advance.
adjust the rear brakes, but I'm guessing your master cylinder is bypassing internally.

Oh, changing brake fluid. Hardly anyone ever does it. They should.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 96

Pulled rear tires and on both sides only the front drum pad moves, not the rear, is that ok? Or what's the issue
Old 01-29-2017, 10:57 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Weird Brake Issue
I have always had issues with weird brakes. I always run normal brakes instead.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Open passenger rear bleeder until fluid runs out. Remove master cap and keep full. Then bleed pr, dr, pf df.