Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Water leaks into cab.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 01:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L
Default Water leaks into cab.

It rained here in Wine Country the last couple of nights and today I found a small lake on the front passenger side floor! Now, I did have some water bottles over there recently, so, maybe that was the cause but I have to ask. Are XJs known to leak on the front passenger side? If so, from where and how do I fix it?
Old 01-20-2018, 04:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by werewolf19
It rained here in Wine Country the last couple of nights and today I found a small lake on the front passenger side floor! Now, I did have some water bottles over there recently, so, maybe that was the cause but I have to ask. Are XJs known to leak on the front passenger side? If so, from where and how do I fix it?
Mine was coming in from the windshield in my '00. Towards the driver's side next to the passenger side visor. Because of how the windshield molding is set up on the '97 to '01 you just cant pry up the molding and gunk it up. The way it works is there is a channel behind the molding that you can not see that the windshield fits into. So if you try to pry up the molding you will pull the channel off the windshield and IMO not be able to get it back on. Sorry if that is a little confusing. Just so happened I was having my body guy deal with some surface rust issues on my hood and roof. So I let him deal with the windshield too. You don't know what you are going to find under there once you remove it. If some body work was required he could deal with it then and there. Just turned out to be a remove and replace.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:32 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: inline 6

Does the Pope poop in the woods? Is a bear Catholic?

Very common in my little monster, that's for sure. I've given up trying to find the source and stuck one of those form fitting rubber mats in there to catch the water.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:07 PM
No, I don't lick fish.

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

On XJs that year, if you have the triangular shaped vent windows, the gaskets around them dry up and they'll leak like a sieve. The fixed windows, not so much, but definitely from the vent windows. The AC evaporator is also on the passenger side and, if the drain gets clogged, it can overflow into the passenger floorboard. Also, if leaves get into the wiper cowl, it can clog up the drain and it will overflow into the passenger compartment. However, IF, you start to notice a sweet smell when the floorboard is wet, then it could be a leaking heater core.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:12 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: inline 6

Originally Posted by Basslicks
On XJs that year, if you have the triangular shaped vent windows, the gaskets around them dry up and they'll leak like a sieve. The fixed windows, not so much, but definitely from the vent windows. The AC evaporator is also on the passenger side and, if the drain gets clogged, it can overflow into the passenger floorboard. Also, if leaves get into the wiper cowl, it can clog up the drain and it will overflow into the passenger compartment. However, IF, you start to notice a sweet smell when the floorboard is wet, then it could be a leaking heater core.
I suspect that is where mine is coming from. Does anybody know if there is a hose of some type that can be blown out with an air hose or is it done from the top removing the cowl under the wipers?
Old 01-21-2018, 06:18 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by jdjonesdr
I suspect that is where mine is coming from. Does anybody know if there is a hose of some type that can be blown out with an air hose or is it done from the top removing the cowl under the wipers?
Remove the cowl.

Add an extra ground for the wiper motor while you're at it.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I bought my XJ, about 9 months ago, I found that it was leaking around the windshield. It had rusted out in a few spots where the roof met the windshield. The short term repair was Gorilla tape over the area where they meet.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000

Originally Posted by PSPEARING
When I bought my XJ, about 9 months ago, I found that it was leaking around the windshield. It had rusted out in a few spots where the roof met the windshield. The short term repair was Gorilla tape over the area where they meet.
That is why I was glad that mine played out like it did. When my body guy was dealing with the surface rust issues on the hood and roof of my '00 I figured if he found any rust around the windshield he could deal with that too. I am capable of a few things but body work is not one of them.