Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Water leaking into cargo area from roof :/

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Water leaking into cargo area from roof :/

Hello forum!

I recently discovered a leak in the rear of my jeep. There was a heavy layer of dew on the car this morning (no rain) and was parked in the driveway so the front of the jeep was in the air. As I reversed out there was a stream of water that poured through one of the screw holes of the plastic panel between the dome light and the hatch.

I removed the panel and tried to locate the leak by pouring water on the hatch seal, roof rack and windows but they all drained to the sides through the holes in the bumper cover.I also noticed that there are water spots around the seal of the back windows (pictured). I would like some advice on how I could try and replicate the leak or if anyone has had a similar experience what I could do to tackle this. my jeep is a 99. Any and all feedback is appreciated!

Water leaking into cargo area from roof :/-0emmiev.jpg

Water leaking into cargo area from roof :/-vslleqq.jpg
Old 10-29-2017, 01:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Is it coming out of the upper sill plate at the hatch? Or coming out above the cargo bay window? If it is the first one I would check the third eye. Maybe the gasket around it is shot. If it is the second one I am leaning towards the torx screw holes that hold down the roof rack.

Last edited by Ralph77; 10-29-2017 at 02:53 AM.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by Ralph77
Is it coming out of the upper sill plate at the hatch? Or coming out above the cargo bay window? If it is the first one I would check the third eye. Maybe the gasket around it is shot. If it is the second one I am leaning towards the torx screw holes that hold down the roof rack.
Yes, the upper sill plate. What do you mean by "third eye"?
Old 10-30-2017, 02:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by kaws
Yes, the upper sill plate. What do you mean by "third eye"?
Rear brake light.