Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Water leak Buying 1995 XJ sport

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Water leak Buying 1995 XJ sport

Going to buy a 1995 Cherokee 4dr sport tomorrow. 250,000 plus miles. Says it runs good. My question is he said it has a water leak under the dash when it rains. He and his son resealed the windshield and still has problem. He read something about the vent box having a drain that maybe plugged. Also I read something about the heater motor gasket. What do you think? I will know more in the next week after I get home with it. This is going to be more of a family adventure daily driver. My 90 2dr will be my serious XJ.

Thank you
Grandpa's helper
Bob

Last edited by Grandpa's helper; 09-13-2017 at 09:36 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 623 Likes on 465 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

The gasket around the blower motor is a common spot for water to get in. I wouldnt worry so much about that because it can be fixed. I would worry about what the floor pans look like underneath the carpet because it has probably been leaking for years
Old 09-14-2017, 12:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997

Another possibilty is a leak at backside of the fender where it meets the firewall. Next to the hood hinge. Do you have a roof rack? Water could be finding its way thru the roof and run down the A-pillar to the floor. Doublecheck the a/c drain as well, just to be sure.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:02 AM

Thanks this will give me more places to check. It dose have a roof rack and I will check that and the fender.

The ac drain is what I think the guy believes is the culprit. I will know more when I see it. He also told me he and his son pulled the front carpet and it only had minor surface rust nothing bad.

The jeep is about 3 hrs away near Sandy Oregon, so we will have a long drive.

Thanks to all for the response! I will keep you posted and looking for advice.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 623 Likes on 465 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

Minor surface rust can be pretty bad once you start poking around with a screwdriver. check the floor on both sides
Old 09-14-2017, 10:28 PM

Well got the jeep home today runs and drives great. Need to replace power steering hose. Washed it and the windshield leaks at both upper corners.

Rust isn't bad

Going to call windshield shop tomorrow

Thanks
Old 09-14-2017, 10:34 PM

Also my heater controls don't work nor dose the blower motor
Old 09-15-2017, 08:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Grandpa's helper
Well got the jeep home today runs and drives great. Need to replace power steering hose. Washed it and the windshield leaks at both upper corners.
That's common. Rust gets in there. How bad it is... depends on how bad it is. If it's rusted in there, many of the national chain auto glass places won't touch it. I ran into that. Found a local auto glass place that was glad to do it, but they made it clear up front they could not warranty the work for leakage due to the rust problem. Fair enough. They replaced the windshield, cleaned up the rust as best as they could, sprayed with a rust converter paint, and no more leak.

How long will that last? Dunno. I'm hoping I'll get a few years out of it before the rust takes over.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:20 AM

Stoped by a local well established glass shop yesterday and made an appointment to get the windshield replaced along with the rust repaired. They said they would warranty it from leaks for life. I will take it in and leave it overnight next Wednesday.

I already replaced power steering hose, it was rubbing on the steering shaft.

Next will be to check the blower motor, fan switch, the temp controls and the defroster/heater/air conditioner selector. None of theses are working right now.

I also need to clean the rust on the driver and passenger side were they pulled the carpet. Any recommendations on rust inhibitors ?

Thanks again