Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Want more lift,help please!

Old 01-06-2010, 01:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Want more lift,help please!

I am thinking of lifting my rig a bit higher,as i am not satisfied with the amount of lift on it now.My cherokee currently sits on 4.5 inches of fabtech from the previous owner,but i was thinking of swapping out the front springs for a taller 6.5 inches of lift.i would be a whole lift kit but times is harsh and the funds isnt there so i figure id do it ala carte style.is there any problems that i might encounter down the line by doing it this way,or should i save the funds and buy a kit.i was looking at the springs from Iron Rock,thanks guys.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

You will probably need to purchase more than just the springs, but you dont NEED to buy a whole new kit.
Depending on what you have now, you might need newer.. upper/lower control arms (long arms, adj. ?), trackbar, etc.
Maybe you should buy a pair of ACOS to lift the front.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:07 AM
Seasoned Member

Model: Wagoneer

Originally Posted by Metmknice
You will probably need to purchase more than just the springs, but you dont NEED to buy a whole new kit.
Depending on what you have now, you might need newer.. upper/lower control arms (long arms, adj. ?), trackbar, etc.
Maybe you should buy a pair of ACOS to lift the front.

just wondering what your "etc" is cuz Im interested too, and not to thread jack but I have the RE 3.5'' and what are the odds that I need new shocks for an extra 1.5'' (spacers) cuz the ones I have now are the ones that came with my 3.5 kit but like i said im also wondering what else i might need to replace for a little bit more height -THANKS!
Old 01-06-2010, 06:49 PM

Year: 93
Engine: 4.0

The first thing you need to do is take a grammar class, then you can buy a set of long arms to go with 6.5" of lift. Anything over 4.5"-5" of lift on an XJ should be paired with long arms. Center of gravity is a b*tch...