Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Video - Losing fuel pressure under throttle

Old 06-18-2017, 10:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Video - Losing fuel pressure under throttle

99 4.0 Auto. Sorry for exhaust leak noise.

See below the link to a video I took. Getting 45 PSI at idle, and under light driving. Under heavy throttle, the Jeep dies out, and you can see my pressure drop to 10-20 psi.

I had been through some water, and concerned that my pump is bad. Before I drop the tank and order a new one, does anyone think this wouldnt be my issue?!?

Also, noted that the hard line from the tank to the Charcoal canister/box is broken, so Ill replace that at the same time.

Old 06-18-2017, 07:09 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,522 Likes on 1,234 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Going through water shouldn't make any difference except you might have gotten the fuel pump wiring connectors wet.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Going through water shouldn't make any difference except you might have gotten the fuel pump wiring connectors wet.
I should have mentioned that the crossing was a failure, and it sat in there for about 10 minutes running, with the water line above the tank.

After posting this today, I dropped my tank and it was filthy inside. Lots of dirt and definitely some water. The "return" line that goes to that Charcoal box or whatever was broken, and so I assume I was drawing water/mud in there.

What else could cause the pressure to drop like that??!?
Old 06-18-2017, 07:21 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,522 Likes on 1,234 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by g1teg
I should have mentioned that the crossing was a failure, and it sat in there for about 10 minutes running, with the water line above the tank.

After posting this today, I dropped my tank and it was filthy inside. Lots of dirt and definitely some water. The "return" line that goes to that Charcoal box or whatever was broken, and so I assume I was drawing water/mud in there.

What else could cause the pressure to drop like that??!?
Pump is probably toast.