Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Valve Cover Gasket Questions... with pictures

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Inline 6
Default Valve Cover Gasket Questions... with pictures

i read through 5 different threads and spoke with a few guys about the best way to go about changing the gasket. i got the cover off (after breaking one of the CCV elbows) and snapped a few pics of what the valves looked like. what should i do from this point on? spray brake cleaner all in it? there is definitely clumps of oil and buildup. also, are the numbers on the little plastic pieces like the CCV elbows (beside the chrysler symbol) the actual part numbers? is there a website you guys use to get these type of parts or is the dealership the only option? those damn CCV elbows are a pain to get out. the front one is destroyed but the back came out but i'd like to replace both... i dont see any numbers on the CCV grommets tho.

Name:  2012-06-20192741.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  111.6 KB

Name:  2012-06-20200812.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  158.7 KB

Name:  2012-06-20200651.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  157.7 KB

Name:  2012-06-20200601.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  158.2 KB
Old 06-20-2012, 09:17 PM

just found this thread with a lot of good info. gonna read through it now:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...ite-up-733669/
Old 06-20-2012, 09:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0l 6Cyl

Originally Posted by udownwitk
i read through 5 different threads and spoke with a few guys about the best way to go about changing the gasket. i got the cover off (after breaking one of the CCV elbows) and snapped a few pics of what the valves looked like. what should i do from this point on? spray brake cleaner all in it? there is definitely clumps of oil and buildup. also, are the numbers on the little plastic pieces like the CCV elbows (beside the chrysler symbol) the actual part numbers? is there a website you guys use to get these type of parts or is the dealership the only option? those damn CCV elbows are a pain to get out. the front one is destroyed but the back came out but i'd like to replace both... i dont see any numbers on the CCV grommets tho.
I'm pretty sure you can go to autozones or orielly website and find them there. Atleast that's where I found the part numbers for my 90. Its helps to have a Jeep only scrapyard near me too. They carry all those little necissary parts on hand.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

I would use some seafoam spray, maybe some MMO to clean up that gunk. Make sure to change your oil, if not a couple times to make sure crap is out.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by DESERTXJ206
I'm pretty sure you can go to autozones or orielly website and find them there. Atleast that's where I found the part numbers for my 90. Its helps to have a Jeep only scrapyard near me too. They carry all those little necissary parts on hand.
Originally Posted by Metmknice
I would use some seafoam spray, maybe some MMO to clean up that gunk. Make sure to change your oil, if not a couple times to make sure crap is out.
yea, i actually forgot i bought the gray elbow and one grommet already. so i'm gonna get the black elbow and 1 more grommet tomorrow. probly get another can of brake cleaner while im at it. im not sure what seaform or MMO is.

EDIT** This Seafoam??

GOOD LORD!!!!!! 100 reviews, thats amazing... im gonna get it for sure. whats the best way to use it tho?

Last edited by udownwitk; 06-20-2012 at 10:10 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:27 AM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0
Default No gasket help?

So do steal in a little but still on topic about the valve cover...
I've never dealt with a 4.0 any newer than a 91 and this 01 has been an eye opener so far! When did they start using space shuttle parts for the valve cover gasket? What ever happened to a good 'ol rubber one? And more to the point... Is it conceivable, short term only fix to just run a bead of RTV on the cover to get it to seal without the gasket? I'll have to order one for it and it will take a few weeks to get to Germany....And unfortunately I have to get this thing through inspection ASAP. Help!?!
Old 06-28-2012, 12:19 PM

Year: 90

Originally Posted by jeepdreamer
So do steal in a little but still on topic about the valve cover...
I've never dealt with a 4.0 any newer than a 91 and this 01 has been an eye opener so far! When did they start using space shuttle parts for the valve cover gasket? What ever happened to a good 'ol rubber one? And more to the point... Is it conceivable, short term only fix to just run a bead of RTV on the cover to get it to seal without the gasket? I'll have to order one for it and it will take a few weeks to get to Germany....And unfortunately I have to get this thing through inspection ASAP. Help!?!
I have used this successfuly:
http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut...sket_Maker.htm
Old 06-28-2012, 12:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0

haha,,,, funny, that's the same stuff I already picked up before pulling the VC and seeing how it was different. Since I don't really have much choice I'm just gonna clean it extra well, run a bead around it, let it cure a little, and then install. Crossing fingers that it won't leak...to soon anyway. Thanks for the help!