Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Valve Cover Gasket Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 02:45 PM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Valve Cover Gasket Questions.

Today I bought a cork valve cover gasket. I would have got the blue rubber one if I had $40 but sadly I did not.

My first question is; Ive read about circle rings that go around the bolts. You cant buy them so will my bolts have them on there?

Second I couldnt find high tac gasket maker so I got ultra black oil resistance rtv gasket maker. Will that work fine for this? If not what should I get instead? It also says I need to wait 24 hours for a full cure which is kind of annoying.

Lastly, what is the correct torque specs? Ive read a few different numbers.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999

Well, I would HIGHLY advise you to return that cork one and just wait until you can get the Fel-Pro. Its $33 on Amazon and it will solve all your problems. It comes with brand new rubber grommets and reusing your old ones is ill advised since all that engine heat has probably rendered them pretty stiff and brittle. As a bonus to all that, you don't need and shouldn't use any RTV with the Fel-Pro.

Torque spec for my 99 is 10 nM. Start with the middle bolts, alternate sides and front/back.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 Litre I6

Originally Posted by Chick-N-Picker
Today I bought a cork valve cover gasket. I would have got the blue rubber one if I had $40 but sadly I did not.

My first question is; Ive read about circle rings that go around the bolts. You cant buy them so will my bolts have them on there?

Second I couldnt find high tac gasket maker so I got ultra black oil resistance rtv gasket maker. Will that work fine for this? If not what should I get instead? It also says I need to wait 24 hours for a full cure which is kind of annoying.

Lastly, what is the correct torque specs? Ive read a few different numbers.
All that makes the job too complicated. Listen to THX, get the Fel-Pro and call it done.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L FI OHV 6cyl

I agree with THX and Curry. You can save a few more dollars even only $27.81 if you a few lines down from the price on the right side of the page or the middle and go to buy used. It is not going to be an actual used gasket, but someone likely opened the box and then returned it to amazon. 100% returns for one month too if you see it is missing any parts or anything is wrong with it. Like new condition. Another thing could just be the cardboard box it comes in had some damage. I got mine and it had no issues.
Amazon Amazon
Old 07-19-2017, 06:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Save up do it once..
Old 07-19-2017, 12:03 PM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts
Year: 1989

Okay. I took yalls advice and went back and traded got the rubber gasket. Well I ran into a problem.

One of my push rods was just laying in the hole after I took my valve cover off. I'm not sure if I knocked it off when taking off the valve cover or if I've been riding that way or what. I did accidentally run this jeep low on oil for about 10-20 miles about a year ago. My other push rods and rockers felt good and tight and the adjacent one to the bent one was perfectly straight.

Either way I pulled out the one and it did have a slight bend to it. So I walked over to my spare 94 and pulled a straight push rod. I'm not sure of the procedure to put these back.

My great uncle who has worked on and rebuilt motors for 60 years is coming to help me. He said something about raising the valve and using a filler gauge to set it right.

I like to be careful so is there anything I need to mention to him in case he forgets. He's 80 now and things can slip his mind.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by Chick-N-Picker
Okay. I took yalls advice and went back and traded got the rubber gasket. Well I ran into a problem.

One of my push rods was just laying in the hole after I took my valve cover off. I'm not sure if I knocked it off when taking off the valve cover or if I've been riding that way or what. I did accidentally run this jeep low on oil for about 10-20 miles about a year ago. My other push rods and rockers felt good and tight and the adjacent one to the bent one was perfectly straight.

Either way I pulled out the one and it did have a slight bend to it. So I walked over to my spare 94 and pulled a straight push rod. I'm not sure of the procedure to put these back.

My great uncle who has worked on and rebuilt motors for 60 years is coming to help me. He said something about raising the valve and using a filler gauge to set it right.

I like to be careful so is there anything I need to mention to him in case he forgets. He's 80 now and things can slip his mind.
Theres no setting them just bolt down and go.