Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Vacuum Cannister Needed if Cruise Ctrl not an option

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Vacuum Cannister Needed if Cruise Ctrl not an option

As we all know, vacuum control on the XJ is a tuff nut to crack. I have spent many hours dealing with an AC blowing thru Defrost Only problem tracing lines, locating vacuum diagrams and I'm getting warm as I've narrowed the problem down to the actuator controls. However, thru my discoveries, there are many discussions related to the Vacuum Canister located behind the passenger side of the front bumper. I have a 2000 Cherokee XJ Sport which in fact, does have this round Vacuum cannister out front but it is not connected to the vacuum system. If is my belief the cannister is only needed when the unit has cruise control. Can anyone confirm or set me straight? I find it strange that Jeep would install a component when it is not needed but go figure, I've seen stranger occurrences.

Put my mind at ease. Not back to tracing my vacuum problem.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:31 AM

Year: 1995
Engine: il 6

i believe and correct me if im wrong but this is from experience that the vacuum ball does affect what you problems are i hid a dear with my jeep a wile ago and broke that vacuum ball along with a small bend in the bumper i had no controll over where my air blew it just went out the defroster and my cruise didnt work so id say hook it up and see what happens
Old 10-05-2011, 12:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The vac cannister is needed for proper functioning of the air/heat vents. Without it you will only have airflow throught the defrost.

And wcupp, sorry but damn. Punctuation please.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L High Output

Originally Posted by winston427
The vac cannister is needed for proper functioning of the air/heat vents. Without it you will only have airflow throught the defrost.

X2 the vacuum canister holds vacuum for the heat/air to blow out. Check your check valves on the system and make sure there aren't any dry rotted hoses. When i first started driving my XJ the air would do the same thing. My grandpa took it from me and pulled the Air control unit out and fixed the damper behind the unit that the arm from the setting switch goes to because it was stuck in defrost. Now it works great except for a little bit coming through the defrost but i guess thats normal, also happens when i drive without the air on, so if the switch is on red it blows hot air up and on blue cold air up the defrost.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:50 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: il 6

Originally Posted by winston427

sorry had to run so i just typed that up real quick. Plus not so good with grammar
Old 10-05-2011, 01:54 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 L

Yes sir that vacuum canister(ball) at the front behind the grill is required to operate the vent/actuator doors for your heater control assembly. it is also used for the cruise control (if you happen to have it).

believe me I know.

cpnwrench

Old 10-10-2011, 11:25 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

you have to have the larger egg shaped canister for cruise control. but yes you have to have one if you don't want your vents and defroster changing every time you hit the gas.