Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Vaccuum Ball removal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Vaccuum Ball removal?

I have found on here, some time ago, a way to get rid of the vaccuum ball and do something to get rid of that headache. This is an 88 Renix, PITA, and there is something wrong with either the ball or, more likely, the line. I could replace it, but I saw a right up on how to remove it and allow my air and heat to still run through the whole jeep instead of just the defroster on the vents. If anyone has done this, or has that write up hidden in their back pocket, can ya help? Very much appreciated.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:01 PM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

Originally Posted by CPLSeraphim
I have found on here, some time ago, a way to get rid of the vaccuum ball and do something to get rid of that headache. This is an 88 Renix, PITA, and there is something wrong with either the ball or, more likely, the line. I could replace it, but I saw a right up on how to remove it and allow my air and heat to still run through the whole jeep instead of just the defroster on the vents. If anyone has done this, or has that write up hidden in their back pocket, can ya help? Very much appreciated.
The 'vacuum ball' is just a reservoir.. the only thing that can go wrong with them is a leak. It's there to give your vacuum operated components a little xtra 'boost' at open throttle operation. At idle you will have plenty of vacuum with or without the reservoir, but at normal driving speeds there's less vacuum available from the manifold. I don't know why you'd want to remove it.. if it's broken it can maybe be repaired or replaced, and you can even relocate it if it's in the way of a bumper rebuild or something. I'd find your vacuum leak.. it may not even be the ball.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: i6

test
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/vac...estion-113787/
Old 02-14-2012, 01:59 PM

Thanks CRNFBR,

And KJC, the reason i was looking to remove it is because I can't find new parts for it at all. That being said, there is a chance i am using the wrong search term. I have been searching for vacuum ball and vacuum lines for that. I am 99% sure i cracked the lines. The ball is fine, but the lines themselves are in horrible shape since i got it. Then i build a bumper and put it on, which meant moving the ball around, and if there wasn't a leak, i am certain there is one now. Should i be searching for the part differantly? I just couldn't find anything, so that is why i was looking to remove. If i can find either OEM or better new parts, I would rather replace it.

I appreciate both of your inputs, and if either of you,. or anyone else know what I should be looking for, I'm game to replace. On that note, I should take another gander to the junkyard parts to see if another will fit. I will buy new, for the obvious reason, but what to look for. Thanks again, guys.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:38 PM

Year: 1996

If you can find one from a later model Chevy small Blazer/GMC Jimmy, they are much smaller and easier to relocate. I've seen many of the Blazers with the reservoir bolted to the hood near the driver's side hinge, so it should be an easy part to pull at the junkyard.

For the time being, I relocated my stock reservoir to the driver's side apron near the master cylinder, and used rubber vacuum hose instead of the cracking-prone hard plastic factory lines.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:36 AM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

I appreciate both of your inputs, and if either of you,. or anyone else know what I should be looking for, I'm game to replace. On that note, I should take another gander to the junkyard parts to see if another will fit. I will buy new, for the obvious reason, but what to look for. Thanks again, guys.[/QUOTE]

Vacuum reservoir
Here's one example..
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par..._&newYmme=true

If you need to replace vacuum lines, any automotive hose will work
Old 02-16-2012, 08:21 PM

Year: 1996

Vacuum reservoir
Here's one example..

That looks pretty much like the S10/Blazer reservoir - nice and small, should be much easier to mount. May have to order one myself!
Old 02-16-2012, 09:51 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by kjc
I appreciate both of your inputs, and if either of you,. or anyone else know what I should be looking for, I'm game to replace. On that note, I should take another gander to the junkyard parts to see if another will fit. I will buy new, for the obvious reason, but what to look for. Thanks again, guys.
Vacuum reservoir
Here's one example..

Can't beat that. Mount it on the bottom side of the plate that your coolant reservoir is on now.

[/QUOTE]