Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Upper Balljoint

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 02:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L
Default Upper Balljoint

So I'm doing my balljoints today and I cannot seem to get the upper installed without it going in at an angle... I have the harbor freight adapter set for jeeps but it doesn't seem to make an actual difference... I looked at the OTC adapter set and it looks like its exactly the same as the harbor freight pieces. I don't mind spending the $80 on the OTC one if it truly is different and tapered but it looks just like my harbor freight. Anyone have any input?

Thanks!
Old 11-12-2016, 03:46 PM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

i used an equivalent ball joint press ($30 at princess auto, canadian version of harbor freight)...review of it said dude used it for his wrangler, same front end as xj

it worked, i did use some big sockets and a piece of flat bar stock to help, but its been awhile

itll work just get the press angled right
Old 11-13-2016, 09:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: l6 4.0

I used some small angle iron and a universal ball joint press to do it. It does go in slightly on a angle so do your best to "shim" it correctly while your pressing it in.
Old 11-14-2016, 02:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 L

Not looking for a reply just wanted to update this on case anyone else searches this topic in the future.
The OTC kit comes with the off set install adapter. The harbor freight adapter is not offset, even though it says it'll work with Cherokees you still need to use something to shim the pieces. OTC kit had the upper installed in 2min top.