Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Unknown vibration

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Unknown vibration

Hi, I have a 96 cherokee country, about to roll 300,000 miles. No lift kit, all stock. I've been trying to solve my up and down vibration for 2 years now. I've replaced all u joints, wheel bearings, tie rods, stabilizer, and dampener, springs, shocks, brakes, and tires, with alignment. I still get the vibration between 25 & 30, and again between 65 & 70. I don't know what else it could be. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-26-2017, 01:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

By "up and down" vibration do you mean a vertical vibration? Do you feel it in the steering wheel? Does it ever seem to be dependent on the road surface? (somewhat random frequency up and down). Or does it have a very definite frequency (implying tires or drive line)?

I have a 96 and chased vibes when I first bought it, for quite some time. The final vibe I took care of was a vertical vibe, felt in the steering wheel, sensitive to road surface changes. It ended up being worn out front sway bar end link bushings and front sway bar to frame bushings.

It was the only vibe that seemed to be truly up/down (vertical). The rest were pretty easily isolated to wheel/tire and driveline problems.
Old 12-26-2017, 06:21 PM

Model: Cherokee(XJ)

a crucial fact in my opinion is upper and lower control arm bushings that hold the entire axle to the frame and those arent too expensive you can replace all 8 bushings for like 80$ (20$ a set of 2 either upper or lower) and rent a c-clamp tool. since this in not in your list of parts you have replaced.. i cant tell you for sure if thats what it is but its not too hard to check the conditon of these bushings by just unbolting one side of each arm at the time not both that will move the axle too much and you will have a hard time to get them back in.

its jsut a suggestion to check out, ive chased down a vibration on my 88xj and started with all the parts you mentioned but ended up being the lower control arm bushing that made a huge difference in my case.

- Marc

Last edited by LadyKenai; 12-26-2017 at 06:27 PM.
Old 12-26-2017, 06:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 249 Likes on 199 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

^^^ the LCA's are easier to see with them still on the Jeep, but Uppers not so much.... definitely worth checking out.
Old 12-27-2017, 07:08 AM

Default unknown vibration

Thanks for the replies. The vibration is through the entire vehicle, on any road surface, but not so much in the steering wheel. The rear view mirror gets so blurry I can't see what's behind me.
Old 12-27-2017, 07:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by studwelder
Thanks for the replies. The vibration is through the entire vehicle, on any road surface, but not so much in the steering wheel. The rear view mirror gets so blurry I can't see what's behind me.
Sounds like it could be a bent rear wheel or axle.