Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Unknown noise from front passenger side of engine comparment

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Unknown noise from front passenger side of engine comparment

Hello, i'm new to these forums as i just purchased a 1994 Cherokee sport and it has a few little problems to get it up to par. The "noise" that im running in to has a pretty distinct sound but i cant seem to pinpoint the issue. It sounds almost like fan blades hit something in the front of the engine compartment.
What i have tried so far with no avail has been taking the clutch fans shroud off as it has a crack on the right hand side of the shroud and was zip tied together by somebody but poorly done so i attempted to reinforce and stiffen the shroud slightly to see if it was flexing into the fan. You can see scores in the plastic where its been hit before quite a bit and the shroud had already been modified by being cut out by either the previous owner or their mechanic. I also tried completely removing the shroud as attempt one failed to fix the issue. I know that as a long term this is not an acceptable fix as it will mess with the airflow but it was just a test.
Now the only time this sound really occurs is when im accelerating from a stop and it doesn't even have to be a sudden acceleration even a slow acceleration produces the same result it also occurs a little on braking. If pictures will help out i will gladly post some once its light and i can take pictures, but so far i haven't pin pointed any causes. Any help from somebody that may have encountered this problem would be much appreciated. but as i said it sounds like either the fan hitting something or a vibration. Thanks in advance. I apologize if there is already a thread fro this but my keyword searches were not sucessful as i dont really know what to look for.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

broken motor mount causing the motor to lift when you accelerate causing fan to hit shroud
Old 11-07-2010, 09:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1994 1993
Engine: 4.0

I can't say for sure what the problem might be but one thing I will ask you to check as soon as possible is the passenger side motor mount. IF the passenger side motor mount breaks on the engine block side what happens is that the bottom of the distrubutor comes to rest on the top of the mount so the engine will only drop about 1 1/2". But that's far enough that the fan blades will start hitting the shroud.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:56 PM

Thanks for your response. Are you fairly sure of that? I dont doubt your knowledge as i am fairly new to the jeep thing and all and am trying to narrow it down, but i actually might have to go with you on this cause looking back at the list of stuff the previous owner had done and all of the paper work i see a recommodation for a motor mount have to crawl under there and take a look will it be easily spottable?
Old 11-07-2010, 10:00 PM
CF Veteran

if you xjs automatic have some one power brake it in drive if its broke the motor will lift up noticeably
Old 11-07-2010, 10:03 PM

Ok cool thanks that should help. If thats not the issue i was also told it could be the fan clutch on the mechanical fan is that a possibility too?

Last edited by almostgotacj; 11-07-2010 at 10:05 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-07-2010, 10:05 PM
CF Veteran

that would hit all the time if it was that bad
Old 11-07-2010, 10:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6

I have an 01 cherokee that makes a sound from the passengers side of the engine too. But mine is more of a very fast knocking sound, and unlike yours it only happens when I'm idling. Could it be the same problem?
Old 11-07-2010, 10:07 PM

Excellent thank you thats what i needed to know well first thing in the morning im gonna take a look at it and see what i can find. Gotta love jeepers why didnt i buy one sooner best community to wrench on your own rigs in thats for sure.