Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

U joint replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default can move ds with my hand. u joint replacement?

Well today i went under my jeep and noticed i could shave my drive shaft with my hand.
I remember someone told be that means my u joints are bad. but i dont know much bout them, not to bright on drive train.
i searches threads and learned that there are axle and ds u joints, but did not get much info.
Heard bout spicer u joints but are pretty pricey, any other ones? Which are better greasable or non greasable.
Also i could shake my transmission, could it be the mounts?

Last edited by studmuffin; 05-19-2009 at 08:49 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:07 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: I6 4.0L

many people will tell you nongreasable ones are better. i think greasable ones are better. when you drive thrugh water you can regreas them to push the water out... now for 60$ you can take your hole drive shaft to napa and there sell and install the u-joints for you. or pay 11$ for each u joint and do it your self. just be carful not to bend the needle bearing.

spicer u joints are great from what i herd. but i have used cheap napa ujoint on my jeep for YEARS!!! and had no probloms. i just keep every thing regreased
Old 05-19-2009, 09:08 PM

wait..... shave?
Old 05-19-2009, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by md1032
many people will tell you nongreasable ones are better. i think greasable ones are better. when you drive thrugh water you can regreas them to push the water out... now for 60$ you can take your hole drive shaft to napa and there sell and install the u-joints for you. or pay 11$ for each u joint and do it your self. just be carful not to bend the needle bearing.

spicer u joints are great from what i herd. but i have used cheap napa ujoint on my jeep for YEARS!!! and had no probloms. i just keep every thing regreased
Oh ok and that for the front and back right, is it tricky to intall it yourself.?
Old 05-19-2009, 09:21 PM

uummmm..... no not really. if you have a hidrolik pres its pritty easy. if you hammer them in then you need to be carful not to put them in to far.

you know what. look it up on youtube. ive seen DIY videos on ujoints
Old 05-19-2009, 09:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 90

Only certain Napas do that... My local one,, you are lucky if they even have the part let alone any machine work anymore.

Its a fairly easy process to change U-joints.

Search for 'How to change U-joints in a Dana 30' in the tech write-up section here. That shows it being done on axle shafts. But the actual process of changing U-joints is the same for drive-shafts. Its actually easier. as you only have one yoke to contend with.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by whowey
Only certain Napas do that... My local one,, you are lucky if they even have the part let alone any machine work anymore.

Its a fairly easy process to change U-joints.

Search for 'How to change U-joints in a Dana 30' in the tech write-up section here. That shows it being done on axle shafts. But the actual process of changing U-joints is the same for drive-shafts. Its actually easier. as you only have one yoke to contend with.
yeah because my napas are fairly small, also wat size are they or how can identify them to order them or ask for them?
Old 05-19-2009, 09:38 PM

well if you go to the store or shop online at a site like jcwhitney.com then thay can look it up by year make and model and just send you the right ones
Old 05-19-2009, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by md1032
well if you go to the store or shop online at a site like jcwhitney.com then thay can look it up by year make and model and just send you the right ones
oh ok, thats what i wanted to know, didnt know if it was like a certain size i needed.
Any ideas on the Transmission?
Old 05-19-2009, 10:24 PM

Year: 1985 shell
Engine: 1996 6 cylinder Briggs & Stratton

Change the mount. The trans should be able to rotate slightly with torsional force from the motor, but not easy enough that you can move it by hand!
Old 05-19-2009, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by radio flyer
Change the mount. The trans should be able to rotate slightly with torsional force from the motor, but not easy enough that you can move it by hand!
yeah i was thinking that was the problem, so it needs to be completely changed?
Old 05-19-2009, 10:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 90

Originally Posted by studmuffin
yeah because my napas are fairly small, also wat size are they or how can identify them to order them or ask for them?
Just tell them what you need U-joints for. They will look up the part number for you.

And I always get greasable. Too much mud around here to not have them.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:59 PM

Default T mount

Originally Posted by studmuffin
yeah i was thinking that was the problem, so it needs to be completely changed?
Yes , its a straight forward job. Basic hand tools maybe some pb blaster- depending on where you live-Floor jack or ramps depending on how much room you have underneath. While your at it check your motor mounts, they will cost a bit more than the t-mount , but if you want no maintenance cost you will need to ride the bus! Have fun
Old 05-20-2009, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by whowey
Just tell them what you need U-joints for. They will look up the part number for you.

And I always get greasable. Too much mud around here to not have them.
ok sounds good ill surely do that thank you.
Originally Posted by radio flyer
Yes , its a straight forward job. Basic hand tools maybe some pb blaster- depending on where you live-Floor jack or ramps depending on how much room you have underneath. While your at it check your motor mounts, they will cost a bit more than the t-mount , but if you want no maintenance cost you will need to ride the bus! Have fun
can this be found at a local parts store....... and right lol thank you
Old 05-20-2009, 12:37 AM

Yep, Just give the parts guesser behind the counter all of your relevant info and hope his computer reads minds so as not to confuse him or her anymore than ness. Sorry bout the rant and bashing -- I worked a parts counter when all parts were looked up in many books and you were hired based on what you actually knew, not your availability to show up at your leisure !!!

Quick Reply: U joint replacement?