Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

u joint

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 01:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default u joint

How long does it take to replace a U joint on driver side, front....?
Old 12-26-2012, 02:01 PM

Year: 1999 & 2000
Engine: 4.0

1 hour if no problems.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:58 PM
Seasoned Member

Ok thanks. What all is done in the process?
Old 12-26-2012, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by sam.bellet
Ok thanks. What all is done in the process?

Need to remove brake caliper, rotor, remove 3 bolts from unit hub bearing assembly, pull the axle, remove u-joint & replace, then re-assemble.
I have a couple of links below that may be of help. In the axle removal link they pull the entire hub bearing assembly off the shaft, you can leave it on and just remove the three bolts holding it on the knuckle. Some like to press the old u-joint out, I prefer to use a old socket (~3/4") and a BFH to knock it out.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/d30/axle-1.htm
http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/ujoint1/u-joint-1.htm

Last edited by BillardCrow; 12-26-2012 at 03:13 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:19 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by BillardCrow

Need to remove brake caliper, rotor, remove 3 bolts from unit hub bearing assembly, pull the axle, remove u-joint & replace, then re-assemble.
I have a couple of links below that may be of help. In the axle removal link they pull the entire hub bearing assembly off the shaft, you can leave it on and just remove the three bolts holding it on the knuckle. Some like to press the old u-joint out, I prefer to use a old socket (~3/4") and a BFH to knock it out.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/d30/axle-1.htm
http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/ujoint1/u-joint-1.htm
Oook doesn't sound to bad, i have a Spartan locker in the front, does that effect my ability to pull the axle shaft?
Old 12-26-2012, 04:33 PM

Oook doesn't sound to bad, i have a Spartan locker in the front, does that effect my ability to pull the axle shaft?
No
Old 12-26-2012, 04:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Why not replace both sides while your there?
Old 12-26-2012, 04:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
Why not replace both sides while your there?
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: HO4.0 I6

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I would do it if I were you and had the cash. I only did one side when it failed and if I could go back I would do both. If your jeep has any rust on it just know that you may meet some resistance with the old joint. It took me about 4 hours to do one, but that was running back and forth because I was sold the wrong part. And because Every project I do takes me longer than expected. If you are good with hand tools and everything you could do both faster than I did one.

There is one giant bolt in there (can't remember the size) and instead of buying the socket I just went to auto zone and rented the size I needed. Saved some $$$ also check the write up section. I am pretty sure there is a good one in there on this process.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:21 PM

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/ho...ana-30-a-3689/

Here ya go man. Also, I don't think I used all the tools he recommended. And for the part about popping something off using the socket and the power steering, just do it that way. For me it was a lot easier but just be safe and look to see where the socket could potentially fly and cause damage. Good Luck!
Old 12-26-2012, 09:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by xj guy

I would do it if I were you and had the cash. I only did one side when it failed and if I could go back I would do both. If your jeep has any rust on it just know that you may meet some resistance with the old joint. It took me about 4 hours to do one, but that was running back and forth because I was sold the wrong part. And because Every project I do takes me longer than expected. If you are good with hand tools and everything you could do both faster than I did one.

There is one giant bolt in there (can't remember the size) and instead of buying the socket I just went to auto zone and rented the size I needed. Saved some $$$ also check the write up section. I am pretty sure there is a good one in there on this process.
I would like to do both but idk. I honestly don't want to do it in the first place because every thing i do to my Jeep on my own,i usually end up messing something else up than having to get it professionally fixed and spending hundreds on a project that should have tooken a day and ends up being a week long process. Sometimes i have good luck with working on it my own and sometimes i don't. Plus i just got it back from the shop after me and my dad installed lift and a couple things got messed up so i don't want to take it back apart because its so damn good looking right now lol
Old 12-26-2012, 09:52 PM

I would like to do both but idk. I honestly don't want to do it in the first place because every thing i do to my Jeep on my own,i usually end up messing something else up than having to get it professionally fixed and spending hundreds on a project that should have tooken a day and ends up being a week long process. Sometimes i have good luck with working on it my own and sometimes i don't. Plus i just got it back from the shop after me and my dad installed lift and a couple things got messed up so i don't want to take it back apart because its so damn good looking right now lol
When did you put your lift on? My u-joint went bad shortly after I did mine. Came back to realize that my friends never tightened the lugs up to torque...

And it sounds like our jeep projects go the same way. Nothing ever goes smoothly...
Old 12-26-2012, 10:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by xj guy

When did you put your lift on? My u-joint went bad shortly after I did mine. Came back to realize that my friends never tightened the lugs up to torque...

And it sounds like our jeep projects go the same way. Nothing ever goes smoothly...
My u joint blew before i put my lift on. All my bolts are torqued correctly. And my saying is, if it ain't one thing, its another.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

My 90 prefers a 12 point, 13mm, 1/2 inch drive socket for the hub bolts. You may or may not have 12 point 10mm on your caliper bolts. (or they are 3/8 hex). I just used a 6 inch 3/8 drive ratchet extension and the power steering to push the hub loose. I was by myself and did bend the extension a little.

I did find changing the joint it's self pretty tough, and I've done allot of them. Plan on having fun with the inside clips, then it just seemed REALLY tight. Next time I might freez the new caps first, and spend more time with the torch on the ears. A very tight fit. At least it seem like that to me.

You could always remove the axle and take it in to a shop and have them change the U-joint if you don't want to hassle that one. 25 years ago it cost a 12 pack.
Attached Thumbnails u joint-101_9757.jpg   u joint-101_9771.jpg  

Last edited by DFlintstone; 12-26-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:36 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

If you're worried about messing things up, just be careful putting the axle shaft back in. Keep it aligned and straight, or else you may damage the axle seal (I did once )

Quick Reply: u joint