Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Turn signal issue (sort of like everyone else's issue)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 6 cyl
Default Turn signal issue (sort of like everyone else's issue)

Hey! 2000 XJ with-surprise-turn signal/directional issue.

This has been going on for over two years...

My RIGHT and LEFT signals would work sometimes, then stop. Then, they would click on and stay "solid"/ stay on and also allow me to "manually" flick them up and down to indicate they were on or I was turning.

The HAZARDS would work for a time, then they would stop "flickering" and stay "on". When Jeep was in an "off" mood, they would just stay "on" and not flicker.

So... the issue is...

I went to get Jeep inspected yesterday and it was an "off" day for it -- Jeep decided not to flicker its hazards or turn signals during the inspection.

The mechanic/inspector said its most likely the hazard relay. I said I would repair it and come back to finish the inspection.

I scoured the forum, found lots of great advice on how easy it was to repair this common issue.

1. Check fuse panel - other items tied into the fuses work (tail light, etc); so it can't be the fuse, right?

2. Replaced the hazard relay - replaced the hazard relay with a 12.8V LED ready hazard from Advanced Auto. The HAZARDS come on and flicker/flash as they should; the TURN SIGNALS no longer work!!!

3. Replaced the multifunction switch - HAZARDS work, TURN SIGNALS do not turn on at all.

Insert OLD MOPAR relay, TURN SIGNALS come back on -- briefly and solid. HAZARDS come back on -- and flicker/flash as they should.

Insert NEW hazard relay again -- HAZARDS are nice and loud and strongly flicker/flash -- NO turn signal lights.

Insert OLD MOPAR relay again, HAZARDS come back on -- and flicker/flash. NO turn signals at all!!!

3. Reinsert OLD MOPAR multifunction switch - HAZARDS work, TURN SIGNALS do not turn on at all.

Insert OLD MOPAR relay, TURN SIGNALS come back on -- briefly and solid. HAZARDS come back on -- and flicker/flash as they should.

Insert NEW hazard relay again -- HAZARDS are nice and loud and strongly flicker/flash -- NO turn signal lights.

Insert OLD MOPAR relay again, HAZARDS come back on -- and flicker/flash. NO turn signals at all!!!

So...

Do you think it makes a difference the NEW RELAY is 12.8v and not a MOPAR 12.v?

Do I need the $50 MOPAR hazard relay?

Do you think it is some cursed connection somewhere?

I can follow directions really well but I got lost with some of the Renix cleaning connections, etc. I just don't know where to start... I'd really appreciate the forum's thoughts and suggestions.

Jeep's mechanic wants to grind it up and send it away for scrap... I know its gone through some tough New England winters, but I think it still has some good times left in it and it is a total champ in this horrible weather!

I'd really appreciate any help! Thx!
Old 02-21-2015, 02:57 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

Turn signal staying solid tends to make me think you have a grounding issue somewhere. On my 96 it turned out to be in a plug that is behind the spare tire (Behind the plastic panel). Cleaning that up corrected the issue for about a year, now its doing something similar and I think I've narrowed it down to a bad socket... all the corrosion on the socket is causing similar grounding issues.

Don't know if those slight voltage differences would matter, but it really doesn't sound like that is the issue to me.

Of course... my skills with electrical issues are almost non-existent, so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:54 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 6 cyl

Originally Posted by foreveryoung001
Turn signal staying solid tends to make me think you have a grounding issue somewhere.
My bad explanation... the turn signals don't turn on anymore in either direction. It has fully died since I've been playing with the different relays.