Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Transmission rebuild questions

Old 11-05-2009, 08:27 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Transmission rebuild questions

I have a 2001 with 160,000 + miles and the tranny is started to act a bit funny. Under normal driving it's fine...shifts fine and smooth. Under hard accerating or hitting passing gear it vibrates and does not accerate like it use too. The engine winds up but I am not going fast like I should ...it does accerate..but not great. Fluid is clean and smells great (no burnt smell).

1.) I am wondering if it is just due for a rebuild?

2.) Could it just be a bad torque converter?

3.) Will it cost me less to get it rebuilt now while it still drives ok or does it not matter?

4.) Is there anything during the rebuild that I should tell them to put in while they are rebuilding it. (better clutches or parts or shift kit)?

5.) If I went to the junk yard and got a used AW4....will any AW4 work in my 2001 XJ?

Thanks for helping me figure out what to do...this site has been great! I love my Jeep!
Old 11-05-2009, 11:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

I've been having this happen too, ever since I had an issue with my Torque Converter Solenoid this past summer. I switched it out with another solenoid, and it seemed to work fine for a bit, but I had to do a long trip on the highway without a torque converter, and I'm thinking the heat had something to do with it. Looking forward to hearing what you find out about this.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Will do on keeping you posted....I am just going to bring it to a tranny place and have them give me options. Several places around here do free estimates. See what they come back with...or if they can narrow down the problem.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:05 PM

Hmmm, well would you be building the pinball machine or sending it to a shop?
From experience Transmissions always seemed to last longer than the motor when it came to mileage. Have you done the routine maintanence? changing filters and fluids? could just be that, I've had it happen on other vehicles before.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by scifi266
Hmmm, well would you be building the pinball machine or sending it to a shop?
From experience Transmissions always seemed to last longer than the motor when it came to mileage. Have you done the routine maintanence? changing filters and fluids? could just be that, I've had it happen on other vehicles before.
I am not sure I have what it takes to build it myself...tools and space and such. I would have a shop do it.

As far as the maintenace it was serviced right before I bought it and I am pretty picky on that....and I have only had it for 10k! Like I said...it drives and shifts great under normal driving....but as soon as you need to accelerate quickly or drop the hammer....it starts to vibrate and not go faster like it should. 160k on the tranny seems respectable...Engine is running sweet and powerful.