Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Which transmission fluid should I use?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Which transmission fluid should I use?

Hey guys recently bought a Jeep and just joined this forum.

I have a 1999 Jeep Cherokee sport 4x4 automatic. What transmission fluid should I use?

Old 03-17-2019, 07:13 PM
gat

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L L6 PowerTech (stock)

The Dexron/Mercon older automatic transmission fluids was the original for the Aisin Warner 4 transmission - which is what I think that your year has. I may be wrong post your transmission according to your manual. All of the original styles of A.T.F. was superceded by 4, A.T.F. 4. Some on here and other places on the internet state that only the older style works in these transmissions...
Old 03-17-2019, 07:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Dex/Merc compatible. Only.

Don't use ATF+4. Some shops may try to sell it to you. It works for some, but can create slippage in some. Why take the chance?

Dex/Merc. Only.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:21 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

Dexron/Mercon x3.

Don't step on any hypodermic needles while you're down there.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:30 PM

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts

I have a '99 since new and have always used Dex/Merc. I typically use Valvoline wither the regular or synthetic depending on what's on the shelf (
Amazon Amazon
). I drain refill every 2 years since this XJ is not a daily driver anymore. Original transmission has ~240k miles on it now. I made the mistake of wasting effort to change the filter one time. I went through a lot of effort to pull the pan and scrape off all the RTV they use from the factory. The filter is really a fairly coarse metal screen. INMO, it is not worth the effort to get the pan off, get the dipstick tube separated, scrape off all the factory RTV and wrestle with the new gasket. Just drain and refill and enjoy your XJ. Just be careful to not overtighten the drain bolt. It will strip before the pan, but just have to be careful.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000

Originally Posted by dzywicki
I have a '99 since new and have always used Dex/Merc. I typically use Valvoline wither the regular or synthetic depending on what's on the shelf (https://www.amazon.com/Valvoline-DEX...gateway&sr=8-5). I drain refill every 2 years since this XJ is not a daily driver anymore. Original transmission has ~240k miles on it now. I made the mistake of wasting effort to change the filter one time. I went through a lot of effort to pull the pan and scrape off all the RTV they use from the factory. The filter is really a fairly coarse metal screen. INMO, it is not worth the effort to get the pan off, get the dipstick tube separated, scrape off all the factory RTV and wrestle with the new gasket. Just drain and refill and enjoy your XJ. Just be careful to not overtighten the drain bolt. It will strip before the pan, but just have to be careful.
I do the same and my '00 is a DD. But we are talking maybe 6K between changes. I went through the trouble to do the gasket and whatnot myself. While unnecessary I know it has been done and will hopefully never be back in there in my lifetime. LOL.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by 3Dog
Dexron/Mercon x3.

Don't step on any hypodermic needles while you're down there.
Dex Merc III, personally i use valvoline because it's about all I've found. Atf4 will work, BUT IT'S NOT WHAT YOU NEED. Atf has detergent properties and mainly It is a lubricant. Your trans is a very solid running piece of machinery, but without the right fluid you could kill it's life span.

aw4 = DEX MERC III these days